DXF's not importing correctly

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
OldHippie62

DXF's not importing correctly

Post by OldHippie62 »

This is the first time I had seen this one. I've been using SheetCam for 4 plus years now, and I can not explain this one.The dxf is semi circular with faceted sides, but when I bring them into SheetCam, it removes the facets and replaces them with an arc.See below images.
Draftsight file
Draftsight file
draftsight image.jpg (125.06 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
Now this does not happen when I use the Torchmate software for my other machine, but it does happen if I use the Torchmate X post processor for SheetCam, and any other post in sheetCam, current running 3 different ones.any help would be awesome.
Attachments
SheetCam File
SheetCam File
sheetcam image.jpg (124.87 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: DXF's not importing correctly

Post by Les Newell »

This is an arc fitting issue. The problem is that many cad packages break arcs into lots of line segments, or output arcs as splines, which then are converted into line segments. SheetCam is set up to try to spot these and reconstitute the original arcs. In most cases this is what you want as the parts cut more smoothly. Of course in your case, that's exactly what you don't want!

In SheetCam go to Options->application options->Drawing import and halve the arc fitting tolerance. Now reload the drawing. If it is still coming in as arcs, keep dropping the tolerance until it works correctly.
OldHippie62

Post by OldHippie62 »

Dropped it clear down to .0001 and it still happens. Just a little background, the drawing is originally created in SolidWorks and they export it as a dxf.I then bring it into SheetCam. Now I did take the same file and was able to import into the TorchMate CADCAM software and it came in correctly.So i'll see if they are doing something differently.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I'm surprised. OK, take the minimum segments for arc fitting to something like 10.
Could you send me a copy of that drawing. I'd like to run some tests on it.
OldHippie62

Post by OldHippie62 »

Sure
14GA_2PC_BOTTOM_PULLEY_GUARD_SIDE.DXF
(62.61 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
also included my post that I use.
Attachments
Torchmate X.scpost
(4.97 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
DTHC-HYT-TAP_SoftPierce+Marker-rev11D - Copy.scpost
(21.48 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I just ran some tests and taking the minimum segments for arc fitting up to 10 does fix it. I'll try to make the next release load this drawing without needing you to tweak import settings.
OldHippie62

Post by OldHippie62 »

Thanks Les. This is why I love this program.