New to SheetCam, and have a few questions

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
cadaverousdoll

New to SheetCam, and have a few questions

Post by cadaverousdoll »

Hello!

I might be working on a project with someone who owns Sheetcam to do some basic keychain type products.

To get started, we know we can use images we create in Illustrator or similar programs. I was curious if it were possible to use a 3D model I've made in Maya with using an IGES file or another file type? Would it just be easier to use a vector image we make?

I'm just having trouble finding the file types that can be used etc. Hope this isn't repetitive!

Thanks!
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

You can't use a 3D model. SheetCam needs a 2D drawing. The main file formats SheetCam supports are dxf and svg. There are a few other less common formats as well but you will probably not need these. If you go to file->import drawing the file open box should have an option to select the file type. You can look through he list to see all of the supported file types.
cadaverousdoll

Post by cadaverousdoll »

Les Newell wrote:You can't use a 3D model. SheetCam needs a 2D drawing. The main file formats SheetCam supports are dxf and svg. There are a few other less common formats as well but you will probably not need these. If you go to file->import drawing the file open box should have an option to select the file type. You can look through he list to see all of the supported file types.

Thank you!

I personally do not have the software - I would have just been in charge of making the files themselves and transferring. The person who does have the software and such wasn't sure on what would / wouldn't work. I'll let them know what you've told me.