SketchUp to SheetCam impasse!

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
MolotovMetalWorks

SketchUp to SheetCam impasse!

Post by MolotovMetalWorks »

Hello SheetCam community!

Trace here, long time digital craftsman but short time SheetCam user. I got an ArcLight CNC plasma system about 8 months ago and have enjoyed learning the ropes of the various programs. I've cut lots of different DXF files from SketchUp cooked through SheetCam without much problem, but have come to an impasse today. I'm making a model in SketchUp of seven different moon phases on a fun landscape. When I put the test file into SheetCam, about 80% of the arcs in the drawing are missing. All the straight lines seem to have swung programs without a problem but the arcs took heavy casualties. Seems to be more prevalent with circles (and arcs) that I've scaled to be elliptical moon craters in SketchUp. What's going on here? Fixes I've tried:

-Changing the SketchUp view to parallel projection
-Changing the arc fitting tolerences in the SheetCam drawing import
-Merging the circles with the model in SketchUp
-Converting the DXF export to an SVG before importing into SheetCam
-Importing a DWG into SheetCam
-Making sure that I'm perfectly top-down in SketchUp before exporting
-Importing both the DXF and SVG into QCAD, separately. They look the exact same, so I'm just realizing it might be on the SketchUp export vs the SheetCam import. I suppose I'll post this thread on the Sketchup forum also!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I spent about 7 hours making this file and am super stoked to get it engraved and cut! Thanks in advance.

-Trace
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: SketchUp to SheetCam impasse!

Post by Les Newell »

If the files look the same in QCad then the problem is almost definitely Sketchup. I'm afraid I don't use Sketchup so I can't offer any more advice on how to fix it.
MolotovMetalWorks

Re: SketchUp to SheetCam impasse!

Post by MolotovMetalWorks »

Thanks Les. Looking into the Sketchup forums as well. I'll update if I get an answer there.