tool storage, missing tools

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
rideforlife247

tool storage, missing tools

Post by rideforlife247 »

Seems like i am always missing one of my tools, there is something weird happening with how/where the tools are stored

sometimes i have the tool i need, othertimes its gone and i have to re make it

if i open a saved project sometimes its there

just trying to understand how this part of the software works so i can retain tools
djreiswig

Re: tool storage, missing tools

Post by djreiswig »

Tools are stored in the job files. When you open a job by default you get those tools. If you create a tool in that job, it stays in that job. If you create a tool and save the default tool list from the file menu, those tools will be there when you start a new job. I believe there is also a setting to always use the default tool list. I also think that if you open one of your jobs that uses a tool that isn't in your default list, it is added, but just temporarily unless you resave the default tool list. Haven't been in SheetCam lately, so hopefully that makes sense.
I always add new tools to the default list and save it, so I don't have a lot of different tool lists running around all over the place.
rideforlife247

Post by rideforlife247 »

thanks for taking the time to provide some light on this.

so when i open the sheetcam program (without opening a saved job) there is list of tools on the left under tools. this must the default tool set?

anytime i work on a job when i close sheet cam, i get a message that says: Save default tool set. Do you want to save the default tool set. i always click on yes i want to save the default tool set

trying to get some consistency here, not sure how i am getting tools to save only to a job file

i always add tools on the menu on the left that says tools, then when i save and quit it always asks do you want to save the default tool set, i always click on yes, so im not sure why my tools wouldnt be saving there.

in advanced settings i found a box that was unchecked: always use default tool set, this might be the fix? should i check this, and this should fix all these issues?

another issue i am trying to pinpoint, it seems to happen at random, when i run the post processor to generate a .tap file for my cnc plasma cutter, there is some setting that will tell the machine to turn all speeds the highest possible speed and if you dont check it everytime, the machine will go mach 3 speed and crash. with this machine, all speeds are set on the console reguardless of what sheet cam is set to.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

It's funny how tools save in SheetCam. I set it to always use the default tool set, and then I save the default tool set any time I make changes. Seems to work for me.
Not sure what setting you have that makes it go max speed, and how that works if you set the speed at the machine and not through the code. Can you set the cut speed in the tools to a really low number? I don't think it works with 0, but maybe 1.
This setting might be something that is in the post processor and could possibly be removed, or your post processor could be modified so there are no speed commands in your gcode.