Issues with recent update

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
HeoBG

Issues with recent update

Post by HeoBG »

Hi, Les.

After the recent update I have some issues.

1. Rapid move to the first object appear to be coming from nowhere (often, but not necessary from the end of the last object), instead from 0,0 coordinates.
2. When I import .DXF file which have text object in it takes a lot of time to import and has some strange contours {Model*Space*Paper}, but not the actual text from the dxf file. Previous versions ignored the text completely.
3. Move operation always have "Use feed rate" checked box, instead of remembering the last used choice.

Suggestion for new feature
When I use Quick cut sequence and click on a wrong object I have to stop selecting, backward the sequence number, unlock the wrong choice and then continue with my selection from where I stopped. Often that leads to a total mess. Could you implement some sort of group undo with one button, for example backspace or ctrl+backspace, or other button, like the wrong choice was never happened and the start point is not changed, sequence number is right and the object is unlocked.

Thanks
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Issues with recent update

Post by Les Newell »

Thanks for the bug reports. Could you send me a sample dxf file that demonstrates the text issue.
When you import a drawing a box pops up with a number of options. Do you have text enabled in there?

I'll look into improving quick cut sequence.
HeoBG

Post by HeoBG »

File as it looks in AutoCAD
dxf.jpg
dxf.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
DXF imported in SheetCam
sheetcam.jpg
sheetcam.jpg (63.49 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
First I want to apologize for mistakes, but English is not my native.

Another issues not related to the last update.
I don't know if anyone has this problem or it's just me, but sometime application becomes inactive. It is on top of the desktop, but is not "on focus". It is not a issue when selecting with mouse, because when I click anywhere inside the app it become active again, but when I use keyboard shortcuts SC doesn't accept them, like I have another application active.

It is discussed before, but I don't like Save/Open behavior of SheetCam.
My routine is as follows:
Import .dxf file, using it's name as part name, .job file gets the same name as the name of the part. Adding different operations, moves....etc. and running post processor. When I finish the work with this file and start a new one SC asks if I want to save the changes. File has its name and I expect just to save and continue, instead Save as... dialog opens. More confusing is when working with old files.
I open an old job, make some changes and want to open other old file. SC asks for saving changes-> YES -> and again pops "Save as" dialog -> File already exists -> Replace....
I've had it happen that I saved a file with wrong name, thinking I was selecting a file to open.

I would be very happy if SheetCam has Save/Open behavior as any other applications. If the job has its name just to save changes and continues, without "Save as" dialog.
Attachments
sample.dxf
(225.32 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Thanks for the sample dxf. SheetCam doesn't currently support shx fonts so I would expect the text to come in with the wrong font. However it shouldn't be displaying what it does. I'll look into the problem. Text in dxf files is a bit of a nightmare. You should be able to disable text in the file import options. In that case SheetCam will behave the same as it used to.
Import .dxf file, using it's name as part name, .job file gets the same name as the name of the part. Adding different operations, moves....etc. and running post processor. When I finish the work with this file and start a new one SC asks if I want to save the changes. File has its name and I expect just to save and continue, instead Save as... dialog opens. More confusing is when working with old files.
The save as box should appear here because you are creating a new job file. You may not want to save it with the same name as the drawing, specially if you have nested multiple drawings.
I open an old job, make some changes and want to open other old file. SC asks for saving changes-> YES -> and again pops "Save as" dialog -> File already exists -> Replace....
I've had it happen that I saved a file with wrong name, thinking I was selecting a file to open.
That is a good point. I need to think on it.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Oops, I just noticed the option to use text is missing. I'll fix that for the next release.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I second the odd saving behavior. I've brought it up before. Any other program have used, when closing a file that has previously been saved with a valid filename and then modified will not bring up a save as dialog. It just saves. Only times the save as dialog comes up is if selected off of the file menu or if the file hasn't ever been saved and thus doesn't yet have a filename.
HeoBG

Post by HeoBG »

Les, don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the software and its capabilities, this is just feedback from a user. From a developers view things may be different.
Les Newell wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:19 pm The save as box should appear here because you are creating a new job file. You may not want to save it with the same name as the drawing, specially if you have nested multiple drawings.
When we start a new file it is "Untitled", but when we import .dxf in it, and if there is tick in "Use drawing name as part name", job get that name, and it is no longer untitled, according to window titlebar and already given name in the save as box, so I don't see the point of pop-up window.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

When we start a new file it is "Untitled", but when we import .dxf in it, and if there is tick in "Use drawing name as part name", job get that name, and it is no longer untitled, according to window titlebar and already given name in the save as box, so I don't see the point of pop-up window.
Now this is one I actually like. I like to leave the "use drawing name" checked but there is a lot of times I want the job file to be saved with a slightly different name and I'm lazy and don't want to have to retype the entire file name just to change Rev1 to Rev2 or something simple of the sort. (I am super OCD about revision control) Can't make everybody happy lol
I second the odd saving behavior. I've brought it up before. Any other program have used, when closing a file that has previously been saved with a valid filename and then modified will not bring up a save as dialog. It just saves. Only times the save as dialog comes up is if selected off of the file menu or if the file hasn't ever been saved and thus doesn't yet have a filename.
I third this one... its been a little annoyance but I've learned to deal with it.
2. When I import .DXF file which have text object in it takes a lot of time to import and has some strange contours {Model*Space*Paper}, but not the actual text from the dxf file. Previous versions ignored the text completely.
I almost made a post a few days ago just to say sincerely thank you Les for adding text support to DXFs. I know there has been a lot of talk in the past about text in DXFs and what a huge nightmare it can be, but I cant tell you how nice it is to have that option now, even if there is only one font that works(which it's not). I don't know what made you add support for it, but I'm not complaining one bit. I know there are going to be a lot of people upset because a lot are probably going to import funky, but i really feel that is a small price to pay for something so potentially useful. I can finally directly import all my bend notes to be etched directly on the sheet! Thank you! And I'm sorry for all the headache that is likely to come.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

HeoBG wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:05 am Les, don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the software and its capabilities, this is just feedback from a user. From a developers view things may be different.
I always welcome suggestions and constructive criticism. I spend far more time writing code for SheetCam that actually using it. Things that make sense in my head don't always work out for others.
In this specific case I have to disagree. You have not yet saved a job under that name and you may want to call it something else. It also gets complicated if you have loaded and nested multiple drawings. You may want to save the job as something other than a drawing name.
I second the odd saving behavior. I've brought it up before. Any other program have used, when closing a file that has previously been saved with a valid filename and then modified will not bring up a save as dialog. It just saves.
I see your point and will look into changing it.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Les Newell wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:18 pm In this specific case I have to disagree. You have not yet saved a job under that name and you may want to call it something else. It also gets complicated if you have loaded and nested multiple drawings. You may want to save the job as something other than a drawing name.
Les, I agree with you on this, since in this case there hasn't actually been any action by the user to save the job.
The case I'm pointing out is completely different, where the user has previously saved the file, but has made changes to it.