Testing release of SheetCam for Linux

New releases and important announcements will be posted here. This is for announcements only. Please use the new features or problems forums to discuss new releases.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Testing release of SheetCam for Linux

Post by Les Newell »

Thanks. I have updated my records so it will be included in the next release.
rodw

Post by rodw »

Les Newell wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:29 am Thanks. I have updated my records so it will be included in the next release.
Thanks Les. I'll let you know here if there is any changes.
I've finally got QTPlasmac onto my production machine so trying to get everything working!
lukasz89

Post by lukasz89 »

Why is there only a 64-bit version on the download official page - 7.1.20-1-amd64 ? I need the last update 32-bit version in branch 7.1. This will eventually run on Debian 7 Wheezy with LinuxCNC 2.6.12.
rodw

Post by rodw »

There is a 32 bit version earlier in this thread.
Linuxcnc V2.6 is so old now, an upgrade to 64 bit hardware is almost mandatory and Wheezy is way past end of life.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That's the problem. It's getting harder to support 32 bit Wheezy and there are not many users still on 32 bit.
lunkwill

Post by lunkwill »

Thanks for supporting linux. I tried the .deb on the Downloads page SheetCamTNG_7.1.20-1_amd64.deb and had no luck with Ubuntu 16.04 due to lack of libreadline7. Then I upgraded to 20.04 and it has readline8 but not 7, so it fails too. But looks like Ubuntu 18.04 would have worked.

Also tried SheetCam_setupV7.1.16-64.bin, and it likewise fails due to lack of readline7 on Ubuntu 20.04.

Edit: I manually downloaded and installed the 18.04 package on my 20.04 machine (which is a dicey thing that I don't recommend) :
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/libreadline7

Then the .bin version worked for me. The .deb then was willing to install. Running failed with:
$ SheetCamTNG-dev
SheetCamTNG-dev: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk3u-3.1.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And I was able to work around that with:
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/SheetCamTNG-dev SheetCamTNG-dev
Last edited by lunkwill on Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
lunkwill

Post by lunkwill »

Also, looks like the .deb is reporting its version as 1.0, which is maybe why people are getting prompted to "upgrade" to version 6.

$ apt-cache show sheetcamtng
Package: sheetcamtng
Maintainer: Les Newell <les@sheetcam.com>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.0
Depends: libreadline7, libncurses5, libtinfo5, libpng16-16
Description: SheetCam TNG CAM package
Description-md5: 1aabfb050ac8b2d53ac0f87f39479be3
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Supporting Linux is a nightmare - the libraries change on every release.
If you want to run SheetCam from the command line you need to run /usr/bin/SheetCamTNG-dev-run, not /usr/bin/SheetCamTNG-dev.

I wasn't aware of people getting prompted to upgrade to V6.x. I can't replicate that one here.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Les your efforts for us Linux users are very much appreciated

just installed the latest release yesterday on a clean Debian Buster linuxcnc 2.8.2 iso install and it works a charm. (I was running mx21)

I too had the downgrade request in the past, and I also had icons not showing correctly but it all looks good