Turning module

Request and discuss new features
robertspark

Re: Turning module

Post by robertspark »

Les,

how is progress on this (I know you are presently busy on something else from previous discussions)

I noticed that there was a lathe linuxcnc post processor in the current releases

just wondering that's all

thanks Rob
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I'm pushing quite hard on it. Currently I'm working on lathe simulation, including showing the stock as it is being cut. It will also include tool collision detection.
Currently the tool path generation only does OD contouring but once the logic is tied down it shouldn't be too hard to modify it for face turning and boring. I'll make a release when these are done. After that I'll add grooving, drilling, facing and threading. Those should be relatively easy to add.
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Outstanding!!

Beevo
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

thanks Les for the update, much appreciated in your efforts
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Here's a quick video of testing collision detection. The tool tip turns red (and optionally pauses simulation) if the tool touches the stock while doing a rapid move. The shank turns red if it touches the stock at any time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnEBceQz0eY
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

really nice!

where to I buy my plugin license? (only joking not rushing you, a good beer or whiskey takes time to brew and mature.... and that looks nice)

you've already sold 1 plugin, just let us know when to pull the trigger plus if you want any testing done (setup in linuxcnc 2.8.2 / master (2.9 dev) with a denford orac and 40 position multifix tool post.

obviously keen for it to run on Linux / Debian bullseye as I think I'm probably going to ditch windows altogether even on my laptop's as I'm getting used to Linux the more I dabble plus I have less stuff that is windows dependant any more
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Don't throw Windows out just yet. I'm hoping the first alpha will be available in about a month. It will be Windows only until it has had a fair amount of testing, so expect at least 3 months for Linux version.
Vmax549

Post by Vmax549 »

HIYA Les , Long TIme. I have been waiting for this for a decade now (;-) Please let me know if I can be of help in any way.

(;-) Terry Parker AKA Vmax549
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I'm still working hard on it. I'm fighting the tool path generation a bit. I'm not as experienced with turning tool paths as milling/plasma. There are a surprising number of subtle issues that only show up in testing. I've probably completely rewritten the tool path generation code half a dozen times or more.
I'm still hoping to be able to release something this month.
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Absolutely looking forward to this!!

Consider an upgrade to my current package sold when it becomes available

Beevo
Vmax549

Post by Vmax549 »

HIYA Less YEP the toolpathing is almost as strange as Surface grinding (;-) or Cam grinding

(;-) TP
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Finally I have something ready for testing. It's a long way from complete but some of the basic functionality is there.
Install this custom version of SheetCam https://www.sheetcam.com/Download/Sheet ... 7.1.22.exe
You will need to install your license on this version. You can have multiple copies of SheetCam licensed as long as they are on the same computer.
Select the 'Turning' machine tpe in the setup wizard (or in Options->machine). You can't have both milling/plasma and turning enabled at the same time.
I have attached a sample job which uses all of the currently available operations. The first time you simulate, click on the 'setup' button in simulation and at the machine type to lathe. The other sim machine types will mostly work but you won't have collision detection. Note that this simulation allows you to rewind the simulation by moving the FRO slider to negative feed rates.

Turning currently only uses straight line moves so most Milling/routing posts will work with turning. As arcs are made up of lots of line moves, the code can get big. I am working on this but at the moment getting everything working takes priority.

If you want to use your own drawings, draw only one side of the outline. SheetCam will automatically reflect it across the Z axis. Any geometry in your drawing below X0 is ignored.

This is very beta code. If you are brave enough to run turning tool paths on a real machine, make sure you stay near the estop button!
Attachments
knob.job
(12.83 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

thanks Les I'll give it a go and report back.

like the job name... have me a Friday smile :roll:
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

And guess what I sold two weeks ago?....

Yup, my CNC lathe!

However I have a Dyna DM3300H that I am converting to Centroid Acorn, though it likely will be a few months before I get it running.
rocket_troy

Post by rocket_troy »

I'll try and give it a try over the weekend on something simple. I'm a bit mystified on the arcs from lines thing though (unless I'm misinterpreting). Is that because of the complexity of nose radius compensation?

Hats off,

Troy