Turning module

Request and discuss new features
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Turning module

Post by Les Newell »

I do need to do some more work in this area to make it more intuitive. However when you import your drawing a box pops up with the usual drawing options. If you set the drawing position to bottom right it will be aligned to the right of the stock.
rocket_troy

Post by rocket_troy »

Ah, okay got it. I'm coming in from a mastercam mindset, not a sheetcam mindset and I need to adjust because it's soooo different.

Okay, so I've managed to successfully import that line to successfully produce what should be a cone profile on the end of a rod stock. So, now I'm trying to create a turning operation to rough and finish, but whenever I try to create a turning op, it produces a facing operation that doesn't appear to recognise the dxf imported profile?

Also, I notice the grooving operation has a layer selection whereas the other operations (turning for example) doesn't?

Thanks for the patient assistance Les.

Troy
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

It sounds like you are having layout issues again. I wish I could figure out why that is happening to some people. Of course I can't get it to happen here.

Most turning operations should have a layer selection. If I remember correctly only facing does not. Could you give me a screen shot of your turning operation window.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Lots of improvements and bug fixes in this release. I've also added boring. It still needs face turning and drilling but I'm getting there. I even trusted this version enough to produce some parts on my lathe. https://www.sheetcam.com/Download/Sheet ... 7.1.23.exe

Currently the main missing features are drilling and face turning. If you think of any other features you'd like to see, please let me know. The only diameter mode turning post I currently have is 'LinuxCNC Lathe'. Milling/routing posts will produce radius mode code.

rocket_troy, could you let me know if you still have layout issues. It all looks correct here but that's not guaranteed.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Just out of interest has anyone used this to try to make any parts?
awander

Post by awander »

Hi Les:

I hope to try it out in the next couple of weeks.
Andy
awander

Post by awander »

Hi Les:

I may have missed it, but I can't figure out which post-processor to use. Is there a Mach4 Lathe post? (or any lathe posts)?
Andy
awander

Post by awander »

Hi Les:

I found the reference just above to the LinuxCNCLathe post, so I am using that.

I've imported a very simple drawing, and created a RH turning tool, and a single profile operation, and I can get it to post code.

The code doesn't look right to my eye, and the simulation just moves the tool in from the left and then stops it there.

I wasn't sure how to set up some of the parameters in the operation, like the Limits, Lead In, and Lead Out stuff.

I attached a support file here; when you get a chance could you tell me what I am doing wrong?
Support.zip
(44.37 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Thanks!
Andy
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The turning module doesn't currently use arcs so you should be able to use the LinuxCNC milling post. The LinuxCNC lathe post should also work. Are you seeing the tool paths in SheetCam? Does simulation work?
awander

Post by awander »

Not seeing any tool paths. I see Input Path, Segment Ends, and Path Ends, that's it.

Simulation just moves the tool in from the right, nothing more.

I loaded the code into Mach4 as well, and see no toolpaths.

I'll try the LinixCNC milling post as well, and let you know it acts any differently.

Can you do anything with that support file?
Andy
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Hi Andy,

It looks like you have not set up any cut operations. Take a look at the sample job file I posted earlier in this thread viewtopic.php?p=29808#p29808
awander

Post by awander »

Hi Les:

I have one operation set up in that file I sent; an OD profile, on Layer 0, using Tool T1.

I'll go thru the knob.job to see if it answers any of the questions I have about settings....
Andy
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The support file only contained a backup of your job, presumably before you added the OD profile. I'd guess the most likely problem is that your limits are set wrong. If the limits are outside the profile you may not get any tool paths.
awander

Post by awander »

Thanks, Les, I think I see how the limits work now, based on the knob job file.

The limits tell each operation where (on the profile) to act. Is that correct?
Andy
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Yes. Outer diameter must obviously be bigger than inside diameter (except when boring). The start and end positions specify the Z range to be cut. The cut direction is always from start to end. By swapping these you can select left->right or right>left cutting.