Installation under wine only works when installer is called SheetCam.exe?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
DenkBrettl

Installation under wine only works when installer is called SheetCam.exe?

Post by DenkBrettl »

So I have the following weird behavior:
I'm meanwhile using the Windows version of SheetCam in Linux using wine. I'm pretty proficient with Linux I would say, but I hardly have used wine so far as I didn't really have the need. In any case, I basically did this:

Code: Select all

export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32
export WINEARCH=win32
wineboot
winetricks dotnet40 gdiplus d3dx9_36  # This is for a different software, I'm just adding this here for completeness
Now I download i.e. a new Development release for SheetCam and from my Downloads directory try to install it. I have a wine.sh script to run wine programs that looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32
export WINEARCH=win32

wine $*
Running this with the downloaded file results in the following error:

user@host:~/Downloads$ ~/scripts/wine.sh SheetCam\ TNG\ Development\ setup\ V6.9.14.exe 
003f:err:module:__wine_process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\SheetCam.exe" not found
Any ideas why this could be?

Now if I copy the file to SheetCam.exe, the installation will work flawless.

user@host:~/Downloads$ cp SheetCam\ TNG\ Development\ setup\ V6.9.14.exe SheetCam.exe
user@host:~/Downloads$ ~/scripts/wine.sh SheetCam.exe
user@host:~/Downloads$
To make this more funny, even if I run a different version installer, it will always just call the SheetCam.exe of the version copied there (which at least is somewhat consistent :-) ).
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Installation under wine only works when installer is called SheetCam.exe?

Post by Les Newell »

I test SheetCam reasonably regularly on Wine. All I've ever needed to to is execute the installer either by clicking on the link in a browser or double clicking on the executable in a file manager. Wine seems to sort itself out without any need for setting environment variables etc.
If you tell the installer to create a desktop shortcut the shortcut works without any problems.
DenkBrettl

Re: Installation under wine only works when installer is called SheetCam.exe?

Post by DenkBrettl »

I think that very much depends on your distribution and how much it helps, so to say. This here is Lubuntu 20.04 and it seems like it's not as helpful as others :-) But anyway, no big deal - I know how to use it and maybe it helps someone who has the same issue.