.part not saving path rule selections with part

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
motoguy

.part not saving path rule selections with part

Post by motoguy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:34 pm

I'm running Sheetcam Windows 6.1.53, post CandCNCPlasmaLLCNC-rev27C.

I've noticed that I'm not saving my selected path rules with my .part files. When I re-open a .part file, the rules are all available. However, instead of each layer having the correct rule applied, "none" is selected. I then have to go through the part and re-apply the rules to the layers.

Saving to the .job file seems to be fine, but they don't stick with the .part files.

motoguy

Re: .part not saving path rule selections with part

Post by motoguy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:47 pm

thought I'd bump this, in case it was missed while you were gone. Thanks!

SeanP

Post by SeanP » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:53 pm

I asked about that a few years ago, have a look here.
https://www.forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6590

I've been saving each toolset in it own material folder, ie: 3mm/ stainless/steel/alum then save as finecut or whatever at least that way rules for particular material thickness are saved, seems to work well for me.

motoguy

Post by motoguy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Dang. That's disappointing. Having to add rules back into 4 to 6 layers per part takes a bunch of time. It would be infinitely more convenient if the path rule just stayed with the part.

I guess I don't understand how saving path rules with a part is significantly different than saving it with a job file.

SeanP

Post by SeanP » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:35 am

Have you tried the 'copy all' to copy the operations?
It even works copying from another job file.

Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:26 am

I have a list of stuff that needs to be fixed. This should have been on the list but wasn't. I have now added it to the list. I am slowly working through the list as I get time but I'm not sure when I'll get to this one.

motoguy

Post by motoguy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:36 pm

SeanP wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:35 am
Have you tried the 'copy all' to copy the operations?
It even works copying from another job file.
Yes, but I save .part files for parts I cut regularly. Ideally, I'd just open the .part file, place it on the sheet, and the sheet is ready to cut. That's the whole point of a .part, IMO. Each of these parts have 4-7 layers, and each layer is running at least one path rule. Having to go into each of 10-12 parts, and add path rules to the 4-7 operations per part, takes a bunch of time. Still better, than starting it all from scratch, for sure. But much more of a PITA than just saving -all- aspects of the .part in the .part file. In addition, this opens the possibility of choosing the incorrect path rule for a layer, and creating a bad part.

I have used the "copy all" function when possible. For instance, opening an existing part that has the same layer names and path rules as an existing part. It's more of a PITA than it's worth, though, unless that situation occurs.

motoguy

Post by motoguy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Les Newell wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:26 am
I have a list of stuff that needs to be fixed. This should have been on the list but wasn't. I have now added it to the list. I am slowly working through the list as I get time but I'm not sure when I'll get to this one.
Thanks Les! Appreciate your communication and feedback.