Plate marker settings..

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Scott V

Plate marker settings..

Post by Scott V »

Plate marker settings..

I have not messed with any setting for my Plate marker, but I wanted to find out something first.. I have my air scribe setup solid on my carriage. Meaning the air slide controls all movements up, and down for the air marker.. I don't want my Z to move my plasma torch at all, when using my marker.. I have Tom's 3100 THC, and will use the Scriber post processor for it.. What do I have to modify to get zero z moments when Using the Plate marker.. Seems like they all ref. the plasma torch on the first move. (just reading around the net.. Just don't want things to mess up when I go back to using the plasma torch, after using the marker.. Still would like the option to cut with the torch after marking the piece. (layers)

Thanks,
Scott
PK

Post by PK »

I have my scribe mounted beside my torch. The scribe also has an air slide. I don't know how you can work this without moving the Z axis at all.

All settings for my scribe's location are relative to the torch's location. In order to operate the scribe at the correct height, my controller needs to touch-off the torch to find the correct height depending on the material thickness. after that, then the torch-to-scribe offset is used to locate the scribe.

HTH
Paul
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

PK wrote:I have my scribe mounted beside my torch. The scribe also has an air slide. I don't know how you can work this without moving the Z axis at all.

All settings for my scribe's location are relative to the torch's location. In order to operate the scribe at the correct height, my controller needs to touch-off the torch to find the correct height depending on the material thickness. after that, then the torch-to-scribe offset is used to locate the scribe.

HTH
Paul

I have no need for a reference. It's on the carriage of the z. So only offset is just the X and Y for the torch placement. The scribe floats on it's own rail after the slide extends. Seem to work perfect with only the weight of the air scribe. I can add weight or a adjustable spring if I need more dig.. I have a Dotco scribe, and it seems like the perfect tool for my marking needs.. If I am doing thicker then 2 inch, then I will have a issue, but there are easy work a rounds for me.. Just adjust the stroke adjustment ,and set a stop for travel. It could care less on air pressure on the slide for the most part. I have valves to slow the stroke speed, but they are fully open and it work just fine. So the plasma z reference is not needed at all with my setup. Just want it not to move, that's all.
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

I guess I just need to know witch plate marker post to use with my CandCnc MP3100 DTHC 1V. Setup with the latest download upgrade.(and the right up to date mach for it?) Other stuff does not really matter until I get the correct post processor.

Just jogging the gantry It's getting nice lines, and no issues at 100 ipm no hangups at all..

Thanks,
Scott
Attachments
slide pic.jpg
slide pic.jpg (132.61 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
slide pic2.jpg
slide pic2.jpg (126.44 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Does it matter that it references the torch? Apart from the short time taken to reference it should not make any difference to the scribing or any later plasma cuts.
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

Les Newell wrote:Does it matter that it references the torch? Apart from the short time taken to reference it should not make any difference to the scribing or any later plasma cuts.
Found out it does not really matter.. I also found what I needed. Just switched my Table Aux to #2 . All the posts seem to trigger that # instead of the #3 like I thought. I did set one of the settings to false, to allow for only one check of the torch at first, and no movement until before the very last one..

It was a post I already had running my Plasma (MP3000 DTHC II + Scriber)

I have a little fine tuning, but it works pretty well.. These are a few tests.. 1 -2 inch tall. Looks better in person, but it's still a start.. :) MS, and aluminum.

Les,
Thanks for replying.. I winged the whole thing, and with the Dotco marker, ended up costing about $325.00 US... Have to love Mach/Sheetcam/Candcnc for allowing upgrades like this.. For the simple first time/ one time fee..

Scott
Attachments
S letter.jpg
S letter.jpg (178.67 KiB) Viewed 6495 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Just switched my Table Aux to #2 . All the posts seem to trigger that # instead of the #3 like I thought.
That is set in Mach3. The scriber is just set up as a coolant output. You can define where the coolant is connected in ports and pins.

One trick for decorative work is to use a pocketing operation with the scriber. The pocketing operation is not designed for plasma use so you have to fudge it a bit. Most plasma/scriber posts will accept a tool with a number greater then 100 as a scriber tool even if it isn't actually a scriber.

If you define a milling cutter with a tool number greater than 100 and do a pocket with it, your post will probably accept it as a scriber. Not all posts work this way so if you do try this keep your hand over the estop first time you run it in case it does something unexpected.
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

Les,
I can't seem to get the offsets to work correctly.. The z is fine.. The torch ref, in the right spot, Moves over right by the scribe work. Then the scribe comes down, and does it thing correctly. The plasma torch moves back over the amount of offset I put in the Post processor. It's in MM like it needs. If I put a - in front of the # offset # the torch will set it Reference right by zero- zero, and then the scribe moves over the distance I put in the offset toward positive, and scribes, then the torch will be at the o-o place, and start it's movement. It's leaving something out it needs to make it work correctly..

Unless I am messing a step, I don't quite get it?

Thanks,
Scott

edit,
I am able to export the layers separately, and it plate marks, and plasma cuts just like it should..
Attachments
test plasma offset.job
(13.58 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
MP3000-DTHCII+scriber2.scpost
(10.98 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
test plasma offset.tap
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That is a bug in the post. It doesn't reset the offsets when you change back to a plasma tool. I have attached a fixed version.
Attachments
MP3000-DTHCII+scriber2.scpost
(11.03 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

Les,
I will give it a shot.. I tried using other post processors for my 3100 DTHC 1V setup, but not good at all.. Latest upgrade, and all. I'm sure if I played with them and posted info here it would get fixed.. Most all seem to be geared for Hypertherm, and soft touch setups. :) This one always worked well for plasma. I really have not tried Sheetcam rules with it much, to see if it's compatible. Seems like some work with it,and other don't. That would be the only reason to change to another one, now that the Scribe is fixed..

Scott
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

Les,
works perfect now..

Thanks,
Scott