Problem with Z-axis

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
nic6911

Problem with Z-axis

Post by nic6911 »

Hi.
I am new to sheetcam.
I have imported a dwg and set up tools, choosen layers and so on. When i import gcode in mach3 all pieces of my drawing are spread from eachother on the z axis.
Is there some way i can align all lines to 0 on z in sheetcam?
If i use lazycam the pieces of my drawing are aligned on the z axis. But in sheetcam z jumps up and down like crazy. It also results in a very very long g-code. I just don't understand why lazycam can make a short code with z aligned while sheetcam can't...

Thanks!
LesNewell

Post by LesNewell »

Are you sure you mean the Z axis? SheetCam won't change the depth unless you specify different depths. If you send me the job file (file->save job) I will take a look and see if I can figure out what is going on.
nic6911

Code

Post by nic6911 »

Here is the job from sheetcam. When i open the code after processing i can see that z is all over the place. Could it be the postprocessor?
Attachments
body - bottom.job
(82.33 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I think the problem is the tool length offset. Set it to zero and try again.

By the way, I think your first two operations should probably be inside offsets, not outside. If that is the case you could also just stick the whole lot on one layer and tell SheetCam to do an outside offset. It would automatically reverse the cut side and cut the inside shapes first.
nic6911

z-axis

Post by nic6911 »

Hi again, and thanks for the reply.
I tried to set the tool length offset to zero but it gives me the same result. I have attached the g-code, where you can see that z goes crazy.

I simply can't figure this out...

And about the first to operations, i know they're supposed to be inside cut's, but i just generated a job quick for you to see :)
nic6911

oops

Post by nic6911 »

.tap is not allowed as attachement...
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

It is now, or you could copy and paste it as text.
nic6911

okay

Post by nic6911 »

here we go again...
Attachments
body - bottom.tap
(9.25 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

You are using a plasma post processor for milling. That will do some pretty strange things. Switch to the Mach3 post and everything will start to make sense.
nic6911

Doh!

Post by nic6911 »

Doh!

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it!