Projection

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
projectcnc

Projection

Post by projectcnc »

Another phenomenon I've noticed is a small step at the base of any projections I machine. I feel certain this would have to be a chipped bit but I want to toss it out for discussion to make sure. (I have new bits coming)
LesNewell

Post by LesNewell »

Are you using a roughing pass then a finishing pass? If so is the finishing pass the same depth?. If this is the result of one cut then as you say, it is probably a damaged cutter.
projectcnc

Post by projectcnc »

LesNewell wrote:Are you using a roughing pass then a finishing pass? If so is the finishing pass the same depth?. If this is the result of one cut then as you say, it is probably a damaged cutter.
It was probably a stupid question. I looked the bit over with the closest thing I have to a loupe (a magnifying glass) and could see the bit was chipped.

I hadn't thought of a second pass. I've been less than pleased with the swirls. A second pass and a new bit. Wow! That'll be nice.
projectcnc

Post by projectcnc »

projectcnc wrote:It was probably a stupid question. I looked the bit over with the closest thing I have to a loupe (a magnifying glass) and could see the bit was chipped.
This really was a stupid question. Only a broken bit could produce such a cut. And it was, and it did. I have new bits now and nothing but excellent, smooth results.