Need pecking help

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
projectcnc

Need pecking help

Post by projectcnc »

I cannot quite understand how to peck. If someone could provide values for A-G on this pic I feel like I could take it from there. Thanks for any help.
projectcnc

Need pecking help

Post by projectcnc »

I cannot quite understand how to peck. If someone could provide values for A-G on this pic I feel like I could take it from there. Thanks for any help.

Attachments:
http://www.forum.sheetcam.com//files/pecktutor_165.jpg
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

It is difficult to provide numbers without knowing what you intend to cut and how deep you want to drill.

Start depth: the start of the drilling cycle. In most cases you would set this to 0 (the top of the material). The only time you use this parameter is if you are drilling into the floor of a previously machined pocket.

Finish depth: The depth you want to drill.

Depth per pass: How deep each peck should be. This depends very much on the material and how deep you are cutting.

Peck retract: How much the drill should retract after each peck. For fairly shallow drilling where you only want to break the swarf, a small retract is fine. If you are deep drilling you want the retract to be equal to the depth so the drill retracts fully out of the hole on each peck.

Min hole size and max hole size: Assuming you drew circles to indicate the hole positions, make the min hole size slightly smaller than the circle diameter and the max hole size slightly larger. Any circles on the selected layer between min hole size and max hole size will be drilled. Once you get used to this feture it is actually pretty powerful. Say you have a number of holes, drilled with a couple of different diameter drills. You want to center drill all of the holes first. In the center drill operation set the min hole size to under the smallest circle and the max hole size to greater than the biggest circle and all of the holes will be drilled. When drilling to size you can use min and max hole sizes to select the appropriate circles.
projectcnc

Post by projectcnc »

Les Newell wrote:It is difficult to provide numbers without knowing what you intend to cut and how deep you want to drill.
The blue wax at the right of the screenshot is the hypothetical project.
projectcnc

Post by projectcnc »

projectcnc wrote:The blue wax at the right of the screenshot is the hypothetical project.
Based on your post I filled in the numbers (green squares). The tool is tapered and is only going to be used to make dimples in the wax for hand drilling later. Have I got the right values plugged in? Thanks
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That looks fine. You aren't pecking (cut depth and depth per pass are the same) so you don't have to worry about the peck retract.

I assume you have drawn your circles 0.063" diameter. If not, the min and max hole sizes need to refer to the circle diameter, not the cutter size.

For the tool diameter you can enter any value. If you use 0.063" then the min and max hole sizes will be automatically set when you select the tool.
projectcnc

Post by projectcnc »

Les Newell wrote:That looks fine. You aren't pecking (cut depth and depth per pass are the same) so you don't have to worry about the peck retract.
How is pecking different from... whatever it is that I'm doing?

www.ProjectCNC.wordpress.com
LesNewell

Post by LesNewell »

You are center drilling (sometimes called spot drilling). Pecking is where you drill a little way, retract the drill to clear swarf, then drill a bit deeper and so on.
projectcnc

Post by projectcnc »

LesNewell wrote:You are center drilling (sometimes called spot drilling). Pecking is where you drill a little way, retract the drill to clear swarf, then drill a bit deeper and so on.
Ahhhh! Thanks