modifying post processor for drilling

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
metalman23

modifying post processor for drilling

Post by metalman23 »

I have a premier plasma, i ran a simulation to see what the gcode looks like if i ran a drilling operation, but in the gcode i can still see the command "Z-100" for the floating head ,

can i change that setting in sheetcam, or do i delete that line from the post processor? i want to clamp a spring loaded center punch into my torch holder, so i can use the table to mark out holes for me to drill out on the drill press

i tried deleting the lines from the post processor, here's my 2 gcode files, which is a bunch of "holes " in a straight line left to right

one file is with the stock premier plasma post,
hole test premier plasma post.tap
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
adn one is with the modified post,

i'm a noob to gcode so does this gcode look like it would "drill" a hole with no problem?
hole test with modifed post.tap
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
thanks
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: modifying post processor for drilling

Post by Les Newell »

Are you using the 'PremierPlasma CNC floating head' post?
I had a quick look at the post and if you just want to get rid of the referencing code when marking it's pretty easy to change.
Edit the post and look for function OnPenDown() which should be near the middle of the file. The first two lines of the function should look like this:

Code: Select all

function OnPenDown()
   if(dist >= (refdistance/scale)) then
Change it to:

Code: Select all

function OnPenDown()
   if(toolClass ~= "PlasmaTool") then return end
   if(dist >= (refdistance/scale)) then

That way it will only generate the reference and piercing code for a plasma tool. With your drill tool you'll just get the moves from function OnDrill which simply move down to the drill depth then back up again.
metalman23

Re: modifying post processor for drilling

Post by metalman23 »

Yes I'm using the floating head post, Thank you! I'll try it out and let you know how it works