Offset Open Lines

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Mr. Fixit

Offset Open Lines

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Hello,

I have a simple rectangular part (160 pieces) from which I would like to remove a section from each end via plasma as seen in the attached. I drew it in two layers so I could isolate the two small rectangle drops. I realize that I can adjust my cad drawing to accommodate the kerf width and ignore the offset, but wonder why I am not able to get an outside offset? Looks like an inside offset on screen regardless of selecting inside or outside. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Stevre
Attachments
PHN-Threshold.job
(13.67 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
bLouChip

Re: Offset Open Lines

Post by bLouChip »

flip the start point to the other end of the open shape and SC will flip the toolpath offset to the other side of the line.
Screenshot 2024-03-20 113925.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-03-20 113925.jpeg (60.22 KiB) Viewed 635 times
MillRight CNC MegaV XL XYZA Tri-CAM Mill/Plasma/Laser
grbl 1.1i, UGS, Win 11, LightBurn, SC, Aspire, and sometimes [con]Fusion360
my youtube channel
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

bLouChip wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:40 pm flip the start point to the other end of the open shape and SC will flip the toolpath offset to the other side of the line.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 113925.jpeg
That’s Awesome. Thanks so much.
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

I am having a puzzling situation. I posted the file, set up the machine and tried a cycle with the torch disabled. It ran the file but it was moving a very small amount, yet following the program. I quickly realized by the onscreen dimensions of the part that it is set up in mm. I never changed this from inches that I normally work in. I went back to the computer and both CAD and SC are set to inches. My part should be 8" x 40.75" and the screen shows 3.15 x 1.6 I am sure that there is a decimal rounding there, but clearly the dimensions of my part if you convert from mm to inches. Can someone suggest something more to check?

Thanks,

Steve
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

When you import a drawing a box pops up with a number of options. Is that set to metric? If so try setting it to inches.
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Les Newell wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:28 pm When you import a drawing a box pops up with a number of options. Is that set to metric? If so try setting it to inches.
I am going to take a look now, thanks..
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Les Newell wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:28 pm When you import a drawing a box pops up with a number of options. Is that set to metric? If so try setting it to inches.
Thanks Les that was it. I realize how it happened. I was working from my laptop in lieu of my office desktop and when I posted the file, it was from the laptop which I had never done. It was set to mm.
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

New issue, same project. I successfully cut 52 of the 160 pieces yesterday and the cuts were superb with a very small amount of dross on the back side what a wire wheel just touching it removed. I realized after doing those, that my drawing was wrong and the removed area was too wide so a total do over. I adjusted the drawing and did exactly what I had done yesterday but have not been able to properly cut the parts. The torch is popping out of the holder so after a couple of those, I realized that the DTHC isn't working so the tip is dragging on the plate. I checked everything carefully, shut down and restarted multiple times and the same result.

I then put a piece of 1/4" steel plate on the table and tried to run another file that I have to do and the DTHC worked perfectly and the parts are just fine. I then went back to the 3/8" file that I need to do over and again no DTHC? I believe that I have checked everything and see no reason for this. I have attached the DXF, the SC Job and the Post in hopes that someone smarter than me see the issue.

Thanks,

Steve
Attachments
PHN - Entry Threshold.tap
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
PHN - Entry Threshold.dxf
(289.46 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
PHN - Entry Threshold.job
(36.29 KiB) Downloaded 6 times