New member and issue

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Plastikosmd

New member and issue

Post by Plastikosmd »

Hello, getting my wright cnc table (Mach 3, qcad and sheetcam) up and running.

With my update to sheetcam, I am having a confusing post processing issue. I will try to explain.

-Mach 3 runs old test files fine, machine cuts them
- qcad seems to make dxf files fine

Using sheetcam, I can import a dxf, add my layers (0 layer comes with import, then I add my inner/outer for a simple part)

AS LONG AS I don’t create an operation for my layers(s) the post process button will function and open up the file creation window

Once I add my operations to my layers, I lose all functionality to the post process button, menu option, hot keys etc. nothing happens

If I save the layered drawing as a TNG sheetcam file, exit program and then re-enter program, I can open the saved drawing and post process

BUT

0 layer is missing, only inner/outer layers are present and the Gcode generated has maybe 10 lines, no motion/cut coordinates and (of course) won’t run as the file is incomplete

The loaded drawing looks fine on the screen and operations are correct along with correct post processor (I tried a generic Mach 3 for plasma processor to see if it would generate anything different = nada

I also reloaded the program with no change

Any ideas?

Thx all
Plastikosmd

Re: New member and issue

Post by Plastikosmd »

I’m not clear if the “ 0 layer” (original drawing layer) disappeared on restart/reload of the drawing is of any consequence/issue. In restart, only my “inner/outer” layers show (no 0 layer) along with appropriate cutting directions, offsets, rapids etc. As this was an opening of a previous drawing where I added operations, it will allow me to post process. But as stated, the gcode generated is 10 lines of mostly nothing to give the table any direction.

If I import drawing, layer it and then attach operations, post process button is nonfunctional. I can only make it “functional” by save/close/reopen and then I run into what is going on in paragraph 1
Plastikosmd

Post by Plastikosmd »

Additional searching reveals maybe my original wright license was a pirate copy, sold by wright originally?

Ugh, maybe that is the issue?

How do I fix that? (I’m happy to purchase, I just don’t know what other conflicts this will generate in the computer)
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm afraid Wright distributed pirated licenses that no longer work. I'll reply to your email to sort that out.

When you first load your drawing do you reassign your profiles to different layers? If you move everything off of layer 0 then save and relload the job, layer 0 will no longer exist because there is nothing in it.

By the way, unless you want to use different settings for inside and outside contours you can leave everything on one layer. SheetCam will automatically reverse the cut side on inside profiles.
Plastikosmd

Post by Plastikosmd »

Les, you and your program rock!!!!

All working (at least until I crash something)

Thank you

Is this the wrong place to ask a Mach 3 question?

On my old prototrac mills there are some modes to run simulation prior to cut. One just makes a drawing on screen to make sure everything is ok, the second runs x/y but no z.

Is there something similar on Mach 3? (Trying to avoid the inevitable crash(s)
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I modified my post to take advantage of the block delete function of mach3. I added a test run button that removes the torch fire & THC lines and raises the Z up an additional 0.25". It works pretty slick.
Plastikosmd

Post by Plastikosmd »

Speak slowly, I’m stuck on the first sentence!

lol

I will pm for details when I get back to shop and can’t figure it out

Thank u
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

You'd have to send me your post & mach screen set and I can take a look at adding this for you.