Rotary drawing issue

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
iLefty

Rotary drawing issue

Post by iLefty »

Hi all. I have just gotten sheet cam and rotary plug in. I have two issues, my flat pattern of my pipe isn't showing up in sheetcam at desired dimensions. I am trying to enter a 3.5" pipe linear distance of 10.99 and its importing at 10.2332.

Second issue is its trying to cut the split line of the flat pattern.
iLefty

Re: Rotary drawing issue

Post by iLefty »

Ok so I have tried to figure this out some more and for the life of me I can't figure this out. I am including some pictures to help try and get my point across.

1. In the flat pattern part I do not want to cut the top and bottom lines. Just the left straight line and the right sinewave line. This will be for a 90 degree miter and a cope or saddle joint. Question is how do I break this down so I can select just those two lines to cut and still retain the ability to cut inside or outside.
Attachments
flat pattern in sheet cam.jpg
flat pattern in sheet cam.jpg (14 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
bLouChip

Post by bLouChip »

That's a great question, I've had the need to do the same at times but have yet to find a tool in SC which edits a segment of a shape that I import via .svg drawing. So what I do in these cases is I use my 2D drawing program (or CAD) to change the shape segment to be defined on a different layer, one that I won't cut; that way I have the comfort of seeing the complete shape and knowing the edges I do cut are in correct placement/alignment. Another approach without that 'comfort' would be to delete the segment(s) in the CAD program, thus just exporting the open shape segments.
MillRight CNC MegaV XL XYZA Tri-CAM Mill/Plasma/Laser
grbl 1.1i, UGS, Win 11, LightBurn, SC, Aspire, and sometimes [con]Fusion360
my youtube channel
iLefty

Post by iLefty »

bLouChip wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:18 pm That's a great question, I've had the need to do the same at times but have yet to find a tool in SC which edits a segment of a shape that I import via .svg drawing. So what I do in these cases is I use my 2D drawing program (or CAD) to change the shape segment to be defined on a different layer, one that I won't cut; that way I have the comfort of seeing the complete shape and knowing the edges I do cut are in correct placement/alignment. Another approach without that 'comfort' would be to delete the segment(s) in the CAD program, thus just exporting the open shape segments.
Hey thanks for the info. I exported just the two lines I wanted from fusion and tried and technically it works but only problem is I can’t select inside or outside so I can offset the torch to not ride the line. Not a big deal but I’m trying to set up a process at work for “idiots” oops I mean anyone to be able to run it
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Split the hole on its own layer. Then you can inside offset the hole and outside offset the other lines. You might have to play with the start points to get the offset on the correct side. Also, make sure you select offset open paths.
bLouChip

Post by bLouChip »

@djreiswig - great tip to flip the start point to opposite end of open shapes in order to flip the open shape offset side, that was driving me nuts and I was settling for no offset on open shapes!
Thank you.
MillRight CNC MegaV XL XYZA Tri-CAM Mill/Plasma/Laser
grbl 1.1i, UGS, Win 11, LightBurn, SC, Aspire, and sometimes [con]Fusion360
my youtube channel
iLefty

Post by iLefty »

djreiswig wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:05 pm Split the hole on its own layer. Then you can inside offset the hole and outside offset the other lines. You might have to play with the start points to get the offset on the correct side. Also, make sure you select offset open paths.
Where do you select offset open paths? I thought you couldn't do that in sheet cam because it didn't know inside or outside.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

It's in the operations screen. There's a checkbox.