Apply Operation to All Parts

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
David_Lelen01

Apply Operation to All Parts

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Hey Les, I thought I saw something a few days ago that said something like "Apply operation to all parts" but I was kinda half paying attention because I was in a hurry. Is that somewhere? because I cant find it now. Or did I dream it?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Apply Operation to All Parts

Post by Les Newell »

No there isn't an 'apply operation to all parts' option. However there is now a 'combine all parts' function in the part tree. It combines all parts into one and does it's best to merge any current operations on those parts. If you have two parts with different operations on the same layer, a new layer will be created for one of the operations. If the operations are identical the layers are merged.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

I must have dreamed it then lol. I did notice the combine all parts into one, that is pretty nice sometimes.

What would you think about adding an option to apply operation to all parts? It would be a massive time saver when you run the same operations on all parts and you have a lot of parts on a sheet. I used to find it frustrating that the program is set up as part based instead of sheet based, but I do find myself using different operations on different parts very frequently. Now I hate I was ever frustrated with that. But I do think it would be very nice to be able to quickly apply an operation to all parts, or even better select which parts to apply the operation to. What are your thoughts?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The problem is that as well as the usual settings, operations include part specific information such as start points, tabs etc.
Obviously the start points on one part bear no relation to the start points on another part.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

But you can copy/paste an operation from one part to another.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

The 'copy all' from right click in operations works really well, just add a new part then ctrl+v on operations

Ah you beat me to it :lol:
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I'm wondering how copy all operations would differ from apply to all parts. Would think the part specific specs would just not be applied in either case.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

The problem is that as well as the usual settings, operations include part specific information such as start points, tabs etc.
Obviously the start points on one part bear no relation to the start points on another part.
But you can copy/paste an operation from one part to another.
I just assumed "copy to all parts" would work just like selecting copy all and pasting, I just wouldn't have to click on each part and manually paste each one. Its not uncommon for me to have 50+ parts on a single nest/sheet. The copy and paste method seems to work perfectly well, why wouldn't this method work?