Implementing text in SVG and DXF

Request and discuss new features
Les Newell
Site Admin

Implementing text in SVG and DXF

Post by Les Newell »

After receiving many requests I have decided to revisit this topic. The latest dev version now has text support in SVG files. Note you need to enable text in the options box that pops up when you load a drawing. If this does not work for you, please send me the drawing file. Note that text on curves (textpath element) does not currently work. Due to the way the SVG interpreter works, texpath is very problematic to implement. SVG import has limited CSS support but it should be enough to handle the output of most CAD packages.

I will look into text in dxf files next but it would help me to have some samples. My ideal sample drawing would contain some text with either an exploded version of the text on a different layer or a box drawn around the text that exactly encloses it. Samples of rotated/skewed/reflected text would also be handy. As I have mentioned before, I can't guarantee that dxf text will always come out exactly as drawn but if I have enough samples hopefully I will be able to get close.