New Spindle Setup - Newbie

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Mr. Fixit

New Spindle Setup - Newbie

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Hello all,

I have been using Sheetcam for a number of years with CommandCNC for Plasma with great success. Recently I added a water cooled 2.2 KW spindle and Huanyang VFD to the mix. I purchased and hooked up the new ISS-05 spindle control from CommandCNC for RS-485 control to the VFD and it works great. I have added a tool setter, and per their instructions have basic tool change and tool setter locations keyed in and all works as designed.

Never having used Sheetcam for routing, I need a little help in understanding the options/process for making parts and having the spindle know where to go after the tool change and tool setter functions. I am told that the process is manual for now and eventually there will be a post for semi auto tool changes. I understand the process of the tool change itself and the tool length offset via the tool setter, but I am totally confused with locating the part on the table and having the gcode tell the spindle where to go after each tool change since the table has to be homed and zeroed (X,Y) prior to using the tool change and tool setter functions.

In Plasma, I move the torch to a place on the metal that accommodates the part, zero all axes and hit run. How can I tell the spindle where to go and get repeatability with the different features and tools? If I understand correctly, I need separate files for each feature to be cut separately, in lieu of combining all of the features into one file/gcode that has embedded tool change pauses. I have attached a file of a speaker trim ring as an example. Any direction here is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve
Attachments
68 Camaro Speaker Trim Ring 2022 0603.job
(57.38 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: New Spindle Setup - Newbie

Post by Les Newell »

I'm not familiar with CandCNC tool change routines. If they need the machine to be zeroed then move the part in SheetCam to match the position of the sheet on your machine. It's generally a good idea to set up some stops on the machine so you can easily locate the work.

On my machine I have a series of holes drilled in the table along both the X and Y axes. Each hole is lined up so it's edge is at 0. That way I can drop in some plastic pegs then simply slide the sheet up to the pegs. I use plastic so that it's not a big issue if I accidentally hit one.

In production it's common to have pop up stops that automatically drop down when you start cutting but that's a bit elaborate for most hobby/small business machines.
Mr. Fixit

Re: New Spindle Setup - Newbie

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Les Newell wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:02 pm I'm not familiar with CandCNC tool change routines. If they need the machine to be zeroed then move the part in SheetCam to match the position of the sheet on your machine. It's generally a good idea to set up some stops on the machine so you can easily locate the work.

On my machine I have a series of holes drilled in the table along both the X and Y axes. Each hole is lined up so it's edge is at 0. That way I can drop in some plastic pegs then simply slide the sheet up to the pegs. I use plastic so that it's not a big issue if I accidentally hit one.

In production it's common to have pop up stops that automatically drop down when you start cutting but that's a bit elaborate for most hobby/small business machines.
Thank you Les, great idea.