What bugs you the most in SheetCam?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
SeanP

Re: What bugs you the most in SheetCam?

Post by SeanP »

Ah drat, thought there might be something :lol:
hans

Post by hans »

Well, technically no bug but maybe not ideal.
Some times nice that the program remembers a value, but sometimes not really,
  • Assume creating a tool in the tool table with ccw rotation. All fine until I want to define another tool with standard cw rotation. But some time was passed so I didn't remember that a created a ccw tool and did not checked the rotation. To prevent toolcrashes like this maybe the default should be cw or a warning on tool creation could pop up. Or operations with a ccw tool could have another color..
  • The same thing with the operations' values, especially the milling depth. Nice that it remembers the final depth but across different jobs it makes not really sense in my opinion. So it is sometimes painful if you hit the machine table only because you made a deeper cut in your last part and you didn't really check this operation. Maybe start with a zero value in a new job? Yes I could have set up the material thickness and the distance from the table to the material bottom but on very simple parts you won't do this. What do you think of adding this two parameters (maybe the rapid clearance too, selectable) to the toolbar? So I can use this nice warning feature even if I am not clicking me through the menues...
Last edited by hans on Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hans

Post by hans »

operation table: it shows all operations in every tab.
I think if the table "Pocket" is selected only the pocket operations should be shown and so on. But all operations are shown in all tabs.
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-01-17_21-39-28.png
Screenshot_2021-01-17_21-39-28.png (42.31 KiB) Viewed 907245 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

hans wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:32 pm [*] Assume creating a tool in the tool table with ccw rotation. All fine until I want to define another tool with standard cw rotation. But some time was passed so I didn't remember that a created a ccw tool and did not checked the rotation. To prevent toolcrashes like this maybe the default should be cw or a warning on tool creation could pop up. Or operations with a ccw tool could have another color..
Hmm, how often do you use CCW tools?
[*] The same thing with the operations' values, especially the milling depth. Nice that it remembers the final depth but across different jobs it makes not really sense in my opinion. So it is sometimes painful if you hit the machine table only because you made a deeper cut in your last part and you didn't really check this operation. Maybe start with a zero value in a new job? Yes I could have set up the material thickness and the distance from the table to the material bottom but on very simple parts you won't do this. What do you think of adding this two parameters (maybe the rapid clearance too, selectable) to the toolbar? So I can use this nice warning feature even if I am not clicking me through the menues...[/list]
One of the main reasons for having the material thickness is to catch cuts that are too deep. It may be better to get into the habit of setting the material thickness. The material thickness is shown in the operation windows and you also have a 'Edit material' button next to it so you can quickly get to the material parameters.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

hans wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:42 pm operation table: it shows all operations in every tab.
I think if the table "Pocket" is selected only the pocket operations should be shown and so on. But all operations are shown in all tabs.
One reason for doing this is that you can quickly compare parameters from similar operations. For instance if you have pocket operations and contour operations you can quickly check the cut depths, feed rates and depth per pass.
Another reason for showing all operations is that they are shown in cut order. Take this example. You have two operations, a pocket then a final contour to cut your part out. If you create a new operation it is added to the end of the list. Say you only have pocket operations showing and you create a new one. In the operation table it will look like it follows on immediately after the previous pocket, where in fact it follows after the cut out operation.
Inkblotr

Post by Inkblotr »

With version 6.9.20 plasma cutting, when the Edit Start Points is selected, you cannot zoom in/out with the mouse wheel. I have to switch back to Show Toolpaths to zoom in and out - very frustrating!

Also, same version, when I need to change the lead-in/lead-out on one path, it takes several additional clicks to get through 2 windows than it did just a few minor releases back (v6.1.74 or 6.9.14 and earlier).

I wish the rapid path line (blue) was just a bit more pronounced and easier to see on the black background.

One last nit - when I change the operation path number, used to, after entering the new number I wanted, I could hit "Enter" on the keyboard. Now I have to tab to or click the mouse on the "OK" button. It also takes MUCH longer to refresh after clicking the "OK" button, causing me to have to waste time waiting on the software.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

You can change the colors.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Inkblotr wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 pm With version 6.9.20 plasma cutting, when the Edit Start Points is selected, you cannot zoom in/out with the mouse wheel. I have to switch back to Show Toolpaths to zoom in and out - very frustrating!
I'm not seeing that here. Do you have the start point properties window pinned? What version of Windows are you using?
Also, same version, when I need to change the lead-in/lead-out on one path, it takes several additional clicks to get through 2 windows than it did just a few minor releases back (v6.1.74 or 6.9.14 and earlier).
Could you describe exactly what sequence of mouse clicks you use here.
I wish the rapid path line (blue) was just a bit more pronounced and easier to see on the black background.
As djreiswig mentioned you can change the colours. Go to Options->application options-?Display. Select 'Rapid path' then click on the 'Change' button.
One last nit - when I change the operation path number, used to, after entering the new number I wanted, I could hit "Enter" on the keyboard. Now I have to tab to or click the mouse on the "OK" button. It also takes MUCH longer to refresh after clicking the "OK" button, causing me to have to waste time waiting on the software.
Odd. I just checked here. Right-click->properties. Enter the number and press <enter> to close the dialog. The number updated pretty much immediately.
Alternatively with the dialog pinned so it shows automatically - hover the mouse over the start point and type in the number. Pressing <enter> or moving the mouse will updated the start point.

Just a thought - are you using Wine? I have to admit I have not tested this under Wine.
Inkblotr

Post by Inkblotr »

" I'm not seeing that here. Do you have the start point properties window pinned? What version of Windows are you using?"

No, Start Point Properties window is not pinned. Windows 7 Pro, 32 bit.

"Could you describe exactly what sequence of mouse clicks you use here. "

I exaggerated, a bit, apologies. No extra mouse clicks but extra keyboard "Tab" key presses., the first popup window goes away when I clear the checkbox that applies the default Lead-In/Lead/Out and a second window shows up instead. After setting both Lead-In/Lead-Out to "None" the "OK" button is not the default, as it was in earlier versions, I have to either hit "Tab" several times or use the mouse to click the "OK" button.

"As djreiswig mentioned you can change the colours. Go to Options->application options-?Display. Select 'Rapid path' then click on the 'Change' button. "

I don't want to change the color! I just want the blue line to be a pixel or 2 wider making it a bit more prominent across the black background. And NO, I don't want to change the background color, either.

"Odd. I just checked here. Right-click->properties. Enter the number and press <enter> to close the dialog. The number updated pretty much immediately.
Alternatively with the dialog pinned so it shows automatically - hover the mouse over the start point and type in the number. Pressing <enter> or moving the mouse will updated the start point."

Right-click->properties, enter new number works fine; <enter> at this point is ignored, unless I Tab several times to get focus on the "OK" button or use mouse to click the "OK" button, not the way it used to work. I do not pin the dialog. I need all the screen real estate I can get. The more cut paths in the piece the longer I have to wait for the recalculation to complete. Try an art file with 100+ cut paths and see what happens! I've never had this problem before. I do not use Wine, though I'd prefer to be using the Linux version of SheetCAM if it would ever get refreshed. Are you using your development system for testing???? Bad idea and practice. Use a machine like we use, no developer tools installed for testing.

Just my 2 cents worth of feedback.
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:52 pm Hmm, how often do you use CCW tools?
Seldom. That's why the default can be CW...
One of the main reasons for having the material thickness is to catch cuts that are too deep. It may be better to get into the habit of setting the material thickness. The material thickness is shown in the operation windows and you also have a 'Edit material' button next to it so you can quickly get to the material parameters.
Maybe that can the displayed in the status bar? Or/and the underlay height can be added to the Variables panel? That would be cool. Or maybe even editable in the Variables panel? Sorry I am just daydreaming :mrgreen:
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-01-19_08-57-24.png
Screenshot_2021-01-19_08-57-24.png (11.4 KiB) Viewed 907189 times
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:03 pm
hans wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:42 pm operation table: it shows all operations in every tab.
One reason for doing this is that you can quickly compare parameters from similar operations. For instance if you have pocket operations and contour operations you can quickly check the cut depths, feed rates and depth per pass.
Another reason for showing all operations is that they are shown in cut order. Take this example. You have two operations, a pocket then a final contour to cut your part out. If you create a new operation it is added to the end of the list. Say you only have pocket operations showing and you create a new one. In the operation table it will look like it follows on immediately after the previous pocket, where in fact it follows after the cut out operation.
So the tabs are some kind of filtering for the displayed columns?
Hmm If I would like to have an overview I would miss a tab which is showing all columns.
And is there a case where 'Pocket' shows something different than 'Spiral Pocket' ?
A little thing that I noticed is at changing the operations' name. When I click in the name field to change it and then click on a blank area, it is not updated in the table. Only when clicking again in the field or changing tabs. And the changed name is only shown as a tooltip in the Operations area/panel. It would make much more sense showing the edited name there for a better overview...
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Inkblotr wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:22 pm After setting both Lead-In/Lead-Out to "None" the "OK" button is not the default, as it was in earlier versions, I have to either hit "Tab" several times or use the mouse to click the "OK" button.
OK remains the default here using Win10. I'll have to install a copy of Win7 and see if it behaves differently. I normally only test the Windows version on XP and win10.
I don't want to change the color! I just want the blue line to be a pixel or 2 wider making it a bit more prominent across the black background. And NO, I don't want to change the background color, either.
That's not actually very easy. I can draw lines either 1 pixel wide or scaled. The problem with scaling is that the width then depends on the zoom amount.
The more cut paths in the piece the longer I have to wait for the recalculation to complete. Try an art file with 100+ cut paths and see what happens!
I'll run some tests and see if I can speed things up.
I do not use Wine, though I'd prefer to be using the Linux version of SheetCAM if it would ever get refreshed.
It will be updated after the new stable comes out at the end of the month.
Are you using your development system for testing???? Bad idea and practice. Use a machine like we use, no developer tools installed for testing.
Most day to day testing is done on the development machine but I have a bunch of VMs that I use for testing when odd OS dependent stuff shows up or if I need to test any major changes to the installer.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

hans wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:40 pm Maybe that can the displayed in the status bar? Or/and the underlay height can be added to the Variables panel? That would be cool. Or maybe even editable in the Variables panel? Sorry I am just daydreaming :mrgreen:
Do you often change the underlay height? On my router I tend to just use a standard 6mm (1/4") sheet of MDF. On the mill setups vary so much that I don't usually worry about setting it.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

hans wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:02 pm So the tabs are some kind of filtering for the displayed columns?
Yes, that's right. It shows all of the parameters for the selected operation type. For other operation types, only matching parameters are displayed.
And is there a case where 'Pocket' shows something different than 'Spiral Pocket' ?
No. Pocket should not even be displayed. 'Pocket' is just the parent class for the different types of pocket operation.
A little thing that I noticed is at changing the operations' name...
Um, you aren't supposed to be able to edit the name :oops:
You'll find any changes you make will be overwriten as soon as you edit an operation using an operation dialog rather than the operation table.

I could add the ability to name operations, like you can name tools. However that will have to wait for the next dev. Larry (the docs writer) will not be happy if I tell him I've changed the operations. He's just spent a lot of time updating the docs.
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:53 pm Do you often change the underlay height?
Sometimes I cut out parts with a underlay and sometimes I only cut pockets in parts without any underlay...
Les Newell wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:53 pm On the mill setups vary so much that I don't usually worry about setting it.
That's exactly the point. It is not quick enough to change it if you have to do it very often so you don't care about it. Now possible crashes can not be detected...