Vcarve operations

Request and discuss new features
acourtjester

Vcarve operations

Post by acourtjester »

HI
I just started to look over and work with the Vcarve option. I have not found how to direct the tool path as you can with Plasma to have the option for on the line, inside offset and outside offset. I want to do inlays and would need to be able to select inside or outside functions.
Thanks
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Vcarve operations

Post by Les Newell »

The V carving option is for 'chip carving' where the cut depth is dependent on the available space. It's good for signs and decorative carving but probably not what you want. If you are doing inlays you probably want to pocket the part the inlay goes into and do an outside offset on whatever you are inlaying. Do you have milling/routing enabled? (look in Options->machine)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for the reply I do have the drilling/milling enabled. I did some test routing today and it will do what I want I will Vcare the inside (pocket)when the shape is only what you want without an outside layer. and it will do the outside(plug) if you have a box around the shape. Vcarve inlays :D
There is a small detail I need to work out, but it looks very good. This is much easier that EstlCAM, or F-engrave. :lol:
inlay plug.JPG
inlay plug.JPG (272.02 KiB) Viewed 48637 times
plug
inlay inside pocket.JPG
inlay inside pocket.JPG (125.48 KiB) Viewed 48637 times
pocket
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

I've got to ask... acoutjester, what do you mean by Vcarve

vcarving needs a v shaped tool so that you pocket out in a v shape

https://youtu.be/z-PjzJLlW0U

inlays are a different animal and not vcarving.

the problem I suspect (although never used the software) is vectric has a piece of software called vcarve.... but it doesn't only do vcarving but lots of other processes too.... pocket , profile, pocket etc .... plus the vcarve operation which is sort of a pocket operation... but instead of routing out to the outer shape what it does is chooses a midpoint between two lines and the knowing the tool is say a 90degree countersink type bit it will drop the z down from the centre point until the outer edges of the tool touch the lines in the cad file on either side of that calculated midpoint toolpath line

keen to see some of your work
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I assume you are using the V carving operation to sharpen the corners. You can also do that using 'overcut corners' in the 'Cut path' tab. Overcut is available in both contour and pocket operations.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Les is overcut the same as a dogbone?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

It is if you use a parallel cutter. If you use a V cutter , the cutter ramps up into the corner, creating a sharp corner.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is the problem I am having when trying to Vcarve a pocket for creating a inlay. Images attached showing the drawing with cut paths first step is Vcarve the perimeter. If I check the create a pocket it looks like it does that but comes up with errors, (automatically adds the pocket option). Pocket plan shows a 0.125" bit being used for the inside pocket (correct to remove the inside portions) Make no difference if I change the pocketing bit from end mill to V bit. If I plan the Vcarve of the perimeter and then plan a pocket operation with a end mill it cuts to the line removing the angle of the Vcarve,(must have for inlaid pocket and plug).
Now it will allow me to plan the plug portion without a problem. Last image part on next post
no cut.JPG
no cut.JPG (175.02 KiB) Viewed 48604 times
no cut v tool.JPG
no cut v tool.JPG (60.75 KiB) Viewed 48604 times
no cut V carve.JPG
no cut V carve.JPG (33.93 KiB) Viewed 48604 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

more images
no cut pocket.JPG
no cut pocket.JPG (47.72 KiB) Viewed 48603 times
no cut end mill.JPG
no cut end mill.JPG (49.93 KiB) Viewed 48603 times
no cut plug.JPG
no cut plug.JPG (192.65 KiB) Viewed 48603 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

As far as I can see it is complaining because there isn't room for your 0.125 bit in some places. If it was to pocket those areas it would cut into your V cut edges.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for the reply I still cannot vcarve a pocket of the attached SVG file. I created another tool using a 30 degree V bit it will Vcarve the shape inside but when I click on the create pocket it blows up even using a 30 degree V bit for the pocket tool. I cannot do a spiral pocket with the 30 Degree V bit either. There does not seem to be a way to Vcarve a pocket with this Vcarve option.
I am wanting to do Inlays but I need to be able to Vcarve both a pocket and a flipped plug to fit in the pocket. There are many YouTube videos showing other software Vcarve programs that are able to do that no problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMD3SrP7Vxk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ty7ITWadv8&t=74s

Thanks Tom
Attachments
humming bird smooth nodes.svg
(7.98 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
error.JPG
error.JPG (167.27 KiB) Viewed 48582 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That crash is definitely not right. Could you send me the job file from just before you post process. What post processor are you using?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks Les I appreciate your time in dealing with this matter, attached are the post processor (generic Mach 3 from the supplied list) and the job as saved in SheetCam
humming bird smooth nodes.job
(36.92 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
mach 3 post.JPG
mach 3 post.JPG (60.13 KiB) Viewed 48568 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

wrong post sorry still a problem
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I have tried several times but I can't get it to crash. I hate it when that happens.