Odd behaviour on first job loading

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Davek0974

Odd behaviour on first job loading

Post by Davek0974 »

Hi all,

I have an issue when starting sheet cam up, maybe 75% of the time when i open the first job, it loads up as a garbled mess as shown in the pic attached..
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 08.58.51.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 08.58.51.png (534.35 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
The parts are correct but there are two overlapping sheets and some parts are shifted or piled up in the lower left corner?

The only thing to do is shut the job and re-open it or open a different job - it only ever affects the first job opened.

Anyone else see this?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Odd behaviour on first job loading

Post by Les Newell »

That strikes me as an odd graphics issue. When it does that try disabling then enabling one of the parts. Do the oddities go away?
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Les Newell wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:11 am That strikes me as an odd graphics issue. When it does that try disabling then enabling one of the parts. Do the oddities go away?
I've never tried that, just done it many wierd things happen...

the material image/background disappeared
disabling and enabling different parts make things 'move' about, mostly even worse than 1st load.
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 12.54.05.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 12.54.05.png (389.06 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
That was after disabling and enabling one of the large cockerels !
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

OK, this is definitely a graphics issue. Are you using Windows or Linux?
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Hmm, thought it might be or the forum would be buzzing ;)

I am running Windows 7 in a virtual machine (parallels) on a Mac :shock:

Is there a specific setting maybe i should be looking at?

Dave
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I'd suggest trying the development version of SheetCam. It does a few things to try to work around issues like this.
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Les Newell wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:21 am I'd suggest trying the development version of SheetCam. It does a few things to try to work around issues like this.
Hi again,

can i run both on one PC?

I don't want to risk upsetting my normal install but really need to find a fix for this trouble.

Yesterday it was really playing up and was loading jobs with parts missing and corrupted etc, now I know its doing it I can get out by closing and re-starting it, if i save the job it saves the corrupt version! Surely if it was graphics it wouldn't do that?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

can i run both on one PC?
Yes you can. The dev version installs independently of the stable version. You will need to install your license on the dev version as it won't see the stable version's license. It is fine to use the same license on both as long as they are both on the same computer.
Yesterday it was really playing up and was loading jobs with parts missing and corrupted etc, now I know its doing it I can get out by closing and re-starting it, if i save the job it saves the corrupt version! Surely if it was graphics it wouldn't do that
That is odd. I have no explanation for that one.
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Thanks,

got it installed and set up. Will do some tests on it and see if the issue happens again.
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Hi again

It seems ok so far, only issue i have is that when i imported my tool box, it changed all the names?

I used to have "T100 3mm Mild Steel 45A"

Now I have "T100 Plasma 1mm Kerf"

Can i change something and re-import???

Also is it ok to use my existing JOB files etc if i might want to go back to the stable version later?

Thanks

Dave
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Fixed the tools - uncheck "Automatically generate name" in the tool table and re-import :P

So last question is are the job files usable between dev and stable versions?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I have been very careful to maintain job file compatibility between versions. If you load a newer job file into an older version of SheetCam any new features will be ignored but the rest should load correctly. Newer versions of SheetCam should of course load older job files with no issues.
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Ok thanks

i was a bit concerned as I store my jobs as steel sheet numbers - i never use a whole sheet in one go so the job gets stored and built up etc until the sheet is done then i start a new file.

I didn't want to continue on the DEV version if would alter my files in a way the regular app could not read. :P
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Davek0974 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:45 am Fixed the tools - uncheck "Automatically generate name" in the tool table and re-import
This threw me once too. It seems odd to have an obscure setting that changes the names of all of your already created tools when you open the toolset. I get generating a name for a new tool automatically, but having that setting sticky and causing existing tool names to be changed seems weird.
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Ok so the DEV version certainly does seem to have fixed my issues, works perfectly every time and I have tried to make it fail but no luck :)

I will stick with the DEV version now.

The only oddity i can see is where you have a part on a job highlighted, then select "New Part", the part that was highlighted is copied to the home location - very odd and it disappears once the new part is imported, it does not have any detrimental effect on the sheet which is good.

Any ideas?