Loop inner corners

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Jolbas

Loop inner corners

Post by Jolbas »

It would be nice to have the option to loop inner corners too. When creating square holes to fit an other cut part you want no radius in the inner corner. I can do a bone like hole in cad but I cant get as good cutting result as when doing a loop. If I draw a loop in CAD then SheetCam make a small extra cut in each corner.
Attachments
inner corner cad loop.png
inner corner cad loop.png (11.94 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Loop inner corners

Post by Les Newell »

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to think about it. Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
mancavedweller

Post by mancavedweller »

I think it's a useful and practical feature. I've had times when I modified the internal corners in cad for this reason but that's a pain.

Keith.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Could be useful on occasions :!:
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

Tried to cut some parts with inner corner loops by drawing the offset in cad and it works quite good.
Attachments
5C013E5B-30CE-4838-B36A-6CCD43789FA4.jpeg
5C013E5B-30CE-4838-B36A-6CCD43789FA4.jpeg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 10904 times
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I "dogbone" the slots on my firepits (and my fab table) for this very reason.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Interesting to think about the math of the inner corner dogbone and an optimum solution to allow for the plasma tail on thick material to catch up + the kerf diameter of the plasma jet that you are trying to compensate for:

http://fablab.ruc.dk/more-elegant-cnc-dogbones/

Bit more of a description on options here:
https://github.com/DVE2000/Dogbone

Ok its in wood, but the same would apply to whatever material if you were attempting to get something to slot into a hole.

I think it would be a useful feature

Another interesting way to do it {via LISP in autocad}
https://www.kimprojects.com/prepare-you ... matically/

some math
http://blog.inventables.com/2014/06/lea ... orner.html
mancavedweller

Post by mancavedweller »

Just did a quick Google for cam and dogbones on inner corners.

One result was this:
http://blog.inventables.com/2014/06/lea ... orner.html

That describes dog bones and T-bones too.

For plasma cutting a useful complimentary feature may be a path tool dedicated to these dog bones so it's easy to switch THC off just before and after, in order to prevent torch diving.

Keith.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

I feel I have to explain this better.
I have used the dogbone technique quite a lot on the milling machine. But when trying it on the plasma cutter it just seems to mess up the angularity of the cut. The outside corner loop feature gave me better angularity near the corner so I thought this could be usable on the inner corners too.
The problem was that if I try to draw a backwards loop in CAD then SheetCam don't want to follow it unless I do a "No offset" operation. But then I need to do the offset in CAD too and that is a real pain. I did it on the parts in the image above but it took a long time. Not trivial to adjust either loop size or offset.
SheetCam has the ability to do the outside corner loop so I was thinking it might not be very difficult to implement for inner corners.
An automatic dogbone inner corner feature would be nice to have too but I don't find it very useful for the plasma cutter.
/Björn
mancavedweller

Post by mancavedweller »

Jolbas wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:30 am .........when trying it on the plasma cutter it just seems to mess up the angularity of the cut. I don't find it very useful for the plasma cutter.
/Björn
I'm surprised to hear that.

I find that with a normal inside cut, the trailing jet of the plasma is transferred just after the corner and it takes a short distance for it to "straighten up".

If your software has the ability to synchronously (no pauses in motion) turn off THC, and adjust feedrate on the fly, then a path rule in combination with the dogbone could allow you to both reduce feedrate and turn off THC at the dogbone, allowing the plasma jet to straighten up and improve angularity.

Keith
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

SheetCam already has automatic dogbones for milling/routing (Cut path tab, overcut corners) but I never implemented it for plasma as I expected problems like mancavedweller described. Internal loops would not be a problem. The current code specifically ignores inside corners so I can make that optional. The only possible issue is that with inside corners enabled, all inside corners will be looped. You won't be able to individually select which ones to loop.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

The loop is reasonable easy to avoid by adding a small fillet on the corners where the loop is unwanted.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Yup, that would work.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

Was it too few who wanted this feature to implement it?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Sorry, I forgot to add this one. It will be in the next release.