Ability to change Sheetcam generated lead-in options

Request and discuss new features
motoguy

Ability to change Sheetcam generated lead-in options

Post by motoguy » Thu May 09, 2019 2:52 am

I'm using a CNC plasma cutter. I use Coreldraw to create my parts, and I nest them in Corel, using the eCut plugin. eCut is very handy, offering a variety of useful functions. I then import the nested DXF into Sheetcam.

Once imported into Sheetcam, though, I run into issues. Sheetcam seems to want to place lead-ins in corners as often as possible, or other "tight" areas, where my pierce divot will create a blemish. As such, I have to go in and place/move the lead-ins manually, which is quite time consuming. If Sheetcam would place the pierce points away from areas it can blemish (by default), it would essentially remove the lack of in-program part nesting.

Would it be possible to have a check box which tells Sheetcam to start the auto-generated leadins "in corners", or "in open areas" )with open areas, ideally, being as far away from other cuts as possible)?

I've attached a couple of photos to aid in the description. The first shows where Scam placed the pierce/lead-in, when applying the toolpath. As you can see, this is deep in a corner, and the pierce is likely to blemish the edge (near the pierce) where it's close to the wall. The 2nd photo shows how I move the leads to "open" areas, so I don't have to worry about this.

If Scam could be told to "place the pierce/lead-in away from other edges, if possible", that would be a tremendous help.

As always, thanks Les for all that you do!
badpierce.JPG
badpierce.JPG (90.99 KiB) Viewed 47 times
goodlead.JPG
goodlead.JPG (118.03 KiB) Viewed 47 times

Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Ability to change Sheetcam generated lead-in options

Post by Les Newell » Thu May 09, 2019 9:07 am

That is a good point. I'll put it on the to-do list. Currently it just picks the first join between lines/arcs. It should at least prefer outside corners.

motoguy

Re: Ability to change Sheetcam generated lead-in options

Post by motoguy » Fri May 10, 2019 3:08 am

Les Newell wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:07 am
That is a good point. I'll put it on the to-do list. Currently it just picks the first join between lines/arcs. It should at least prefer outside corners.
Thanks Les! If there were a way for it to find/pick most "open" area, that would be great. About anything would be better than burying in a corner, though.