Scanything calibration

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
hum3

Scanything calibration

Post by hum3 »

Hi All,

i'm having a problem calibrating scanything, there's no issue with orientation or camera spec and this works prefect on our 4x4 plasma table, we're trying to trace larger items on of 10x5 router but the program won't calibrate, it aligns with the first few dots then runs off the screen and continues running on the x axis for the length of the table!
robertspark

Re: Scanything calibration

Post by robertspark »

When I had this problem the axis was reversed or the camera was oriented wrong.

Suggest a double or triple check ++z is moving to the right and ++y is moving up, away from the operator and all jog in the right direction with numbers increasing, and the camera orientated correctly (get a bit of paper with markings visible under it)

Draw something like an up and right arrow and a horizontal flat under them so that the camera is perfectly horizontal.

It's been a while since I set mine up, but what it did for me is it aligned with the dot, then rapid moved left (--x) and slow jogged right to find the dot.... If it doesn't find the dot it will keep going.......
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Are you using Mach3? If so, are you using the parallel port?
Dundon

Post by Dundon »

Are you saying that the parallel port should be avoided, Les?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

No, the other way round. There are often problems if you use an external USB or Ethernet controller with Scanything. The parallel port is generally reliable.
mancavedweller

Post by mancavedweller »

Les Newell wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:20 pm There are often problems if you use an external USB or Ethernet controller with Scanything.
Hi Les,

I see Scanything also works with Edingcnc. They have recently brought out a new small board CNC310, which has an ethernet connection.

Would this one be OK with Scanything or does what you say still apply ??

Also have you had any good/bad reports of Scanything with Mach3 running a UCCNC plugin with any of their boards (UC100, UC400ETH, UC300ETH).

Keith
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Scanything works quite well with the Eding CNC Ethernet boards. There are problems with Mach3 and the UCCNC boards, often leading to runaways or other odd behavior.
mancavedweller

Post by mancavedweller »

Thanks Les, that's great to know.

Keith.
hum3

Post by hum3 »

Ah!...we're using UC100 USB on the machine that doesn't work with scannything, How involved is it to change our machine to parallel?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The UC100 has a parallel port style connector so as long as your computer has a parallel port it is pretty straight forward hardware wise. If you don't have a parallel port it gets a lot more difficult. USB parallel port adapters won't work. You can get PCI or PCIe parallel port boards but you need to be careful as many of them won't work with Mach either. For Mach to work with a parallel port you also need to be running a 32 bit version of Windows 2000, XP or windows 7. Win7 takes some mucking about to get it working.
hum3

Post by hum3 »

Ok great, totally forgot the UC100 has parallel connector at one end. I have a spare computer here somewhere 32bit with Parallel port, thanks.
menes

Post by menes »

Scanything will not work on my machine with PoKey 57 cnc - the slave axis (Y) lives its own life. Have tried to switch on axis, but the same result