Is there a way to break up arrayed parts ??

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
mancavedweller

Is there a way to break up arrayed parts ??

Post by mancavedweller »

Hi Les,

I have arrayed a part so there is a total of 5 pieces on 1 row.

I tried "Manually Break Up Manually Nested Drawing" to make these arrayed pieces "un-linked" (I wanted to do this because I had a need to move the pierce point on just one of them, after a flameout occurred and I could not pierce at the same location).

However, instead of Sheetcam breaking up these arrayed pieces, it gives me the following message:

"This part has duplicates which will be deleted. Do you want to continue."

Of course I don't want that. Is there any way to break up arrayed parts into parts that can be individually altered.

Cheers,

Keith.
djreiswig

Re: Is there a way to break up arrayed parts ??

Post by djreiswig »

Not what you are asking, but if you slide a small scrap over the pierce hole, it will give the torch something to bite into and get going. Depending on the thickness of material you are cutting, it probably won't take much.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Arrayed parts are duplicates. Duplicates are simply a step-and-repeat of the original part so you can't edit them. As you only need to modify one you could replace it with a copy of the original part. In nesting mode click on the part you want to change and make a note of the X,Y coordinates of the part at the bottom of the main window. Now delete it. Make a copy of the original part then click on it and enter those coordinates in the position boxes. That will position the new copy exactly over the duplicate you deleted.
mancavedweller

Post by mancavedweller »

Ha ha, that is EXACTLY what I did, but just wanted to confirm there was no quicker way. I unticked the tick box of the arrayed part I replaced so that I didn't have the new copy part over the old arrayed part.

Thanks Les.

And thanks for the tip djreiswig. I can see some small countersunk bolts/screws coming in handy for this sort of thing.

Keith
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

I've a switch set up to bypass the arc ok signal, that will get around that problem as well Keith.
mancavedweller

Post by mancavedweller »

Thanks Sean,

yeah I pondered that idea already. Problem is the Neuron is an external "black box" that controls the Z and does THC functions. You basically set your pierce height, pierce delay, cut height, etc and that is applied to all parts. So even if I bypassed the Arc Ok, the Neuron is still going to go thru the pierce at this height, for this delay, then go to cut height and move. The arc would most likely go out during the pierce delay.

There would be tedious ways around it like set up a new profile just for that part of the cut, then stop the cut after the problem part, and restart with the original profile, etc, but overall I'm getting sick of the Neuron THC, not only for reasons like this, but other reasons too.

It's back having a go at developing my own integrated THC system for UCCNC. I want total control and no more "black box" systems for me.

Keith.