Scanything for large objects

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Sarriugarte

Scanything for large objects

Post by Sarriugarte »

I do a lot of sheet metal panels for cars and the scanything dxf file I created on a fairly small 2x3ft panel (40,000 + nodes) it crashes Inkscape when I use simplify. I have a new Arclight Pro Max 5x10 table. Running linux, scanything 2.0.11
motoguy

Re: Scanything for large objects

Post by motoguy »

That's a ton of nodes. That many nodes used to crash Corel for me, too.

Can you place this traced file (with all the nodes) on a layer ("layer 1"), and then, on a NEW layer ("layer 2"), manually trace over the top of layer 1?

Or, does Inkscape have a "smoothing" tool (not function, but a tool) that can be ran around the part, to "blend" the nodes together? I used a tool like that in Corel yesterday, for a file that had a lot of nodes/jagged edges on the perimeter.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

If you move the camera further from the part you are scanning you will get fewer nodes. This will also reduce accuracy so it is a bit of a tradeoff.
If you import the drawing into SheetCam it will automatically reduce the number of nodes. Depending on your drawing import settings (Options->application options->drawing import) this can be quite significant. Once you have the drawing loaded, set up a simple 'no offset' cut on it then use the dxf post processor to export it as a cleaned up dxf.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Les Newell wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 am Once you have the drawing loaded, set up a simple 'no offset' cut on it then use the dxf post processor to export it as a cleaned up dxf.
That's another new one to me, nice one! I'll be trying that trick.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Les Newell wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 amOnce you have the drawing loaded, set up a simple 'no offset' cut on it then use the dxf post processor to export it as a cleaned up dxf.
I never knew Sheetcam had a DXF post processor. That's pretty awesome. Learn something new every day!
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

You learn something new every day! I had to fire up Sheetcam just now to check out the DXF post processor and sure enough, there it was. That's why I read thru all these posts, just to learn something new.

Steve