pre-pierce question

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
tinman13

pre-pierce question

Post by tinman13 »

I posted this at the Yahoo site too, so just in case you it there :-)

Hi Les, I would like to modify the pre-pierce post for flame cutting, it would be ideal if it could preheat, pierce and ramp down to cut height then stop maybe 1/2" from the part edge, change the tip then re-post with the flame post with a 1/2" lead in to cut the part.

Thanks Steve
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: pre-pierce question

Post by Les Newell »

I could get it to cut for a certain distance at the start of the cut. For instance if your leadin is 3/4" long I could set it to cut for the frist 1/2" of that leadin. Would that work for you?
tinman13

Post by tinman13 »

That would be perfect!
Thank you Les
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The more I look at this one the more issues I come across. For example what should happen if SheetCam has shortened the leadin or of it has removed the leadin completely?

Why exactly do you need the pierce plus a short cut?
tinman13

Post by tinman13 »

The way it was explained to me was to pierce and have a short lead-in cut with a sacrificial tip, stop, put in a good tip and make the cut with a known clean one. If you foul a tip it's almost always done on the pierce, the heavier the plate the bigger the volcano!
I don't do enough heavy plate (over 1 1/2") to justify putting a lot of time into it so if it's too much trouble don't worry about it! :-)
I certainly appreciate all you do for us! Thanks again, Steve
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I am not sure how much the bit of leadin would help. Having the pierce hole I can understand and that is what the current post does. Having said that I have no practical experience of cutting that thickness so I could be wrong. Any other opinions on this would be welcome.
tinman13

Post by tinman13 »

Thanks for considering it Les, I think I would be better to add a separate pre-pierce lead-in in my cad program on it's own layer, post that as one operation then post the profile cut as a second operation. It would then be an edge start with little preheat time... It just might work!
I'll do some experimenting and see how it goes!

Thanks, Steve
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Let me know how you get on. If you find a significant improvement using a short lead rather than just piercing I'll take another look at it.
ThorstenU

Post by ThorstenU »

I am not sure how much the bit of leadin would help. Having the pierce hole I can understand and that is what the current post does. Having said that I have no practical experience of cutting that thickness so I could be wrong. Any other opinions on this would be welcome.
Which post processor is it. I am looking for somethng like that for a waterjet
Thorsten