SVG Program

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Dropout

SVG Program

Post by Dropout »

Hi All

What's the best design program for outputting svg files?

Something with some rudimentary cad abilities - I don't know autocad and am too old to learn.

I tried Inkscape but it's not CAD enough.
JHOP

SVG Program

Post by JHOP »

CANVAS

In a message dated 5/6/2015 10:20:13 A.M. Central Daylight Time, cnc@boundlessnrg.com writes:
Hi All

What's the best design program for outputting svg files?

Something with some rudimentary cad abilities - I don't know autocad and am too old to learn.

I tried Inkscape but it's not CAD enough.

WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

When I first started out in CNC (router), I used a program called CamBam, which is a Cad/Cam program. It works well, and I still occasionally use it. It will output g-code and Dxf, no svg. However, it is not an Autocad clone. You can make squares and circles with precision by specifying sizes in a properties box, but it's noting like Autocad as far as dimensions, etc. I don't use it as much as I used to because it doesn't have the CandCNC post processors that Sheetcam has, and it's not much use as far as artwork types of projects, like Inkscape and CorelDraw. CamBam has a free download trial version.

If you need Autocad type control without the Autocad type complexity, you might look at DraftSight, they have a free version that works like Autocad, maybe a little simpler. I use this if I need drafting type capabilities. I don't remember if it outputs Svg files.

Steve