Newbie need help

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
asuratman

Newbie need help

Post by asuratman »

Hello,
I have candcnc ESP 2 Blade Runner package and I am newbie on sheetcam. I plan to use it with my plasma table. I can get access solidworks for my cad and I have made simple form in solidworks. What kind of file ext to save so I can open it with sheetcam. I tried several times using dxf, parts but I can not open it in sheetcam. What is the different between open job and open part? Thanks in advance. Asuratman.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Save your drawing as a dxf file. To open the drawing in SheetCam you need to go to File->import drawing.

You need to be careful when saving your drawing as a dxf. If you export a dxf from a 3D part, Solidworks often generates overlapping outlines. Take the example of a simple cube. If you export a dxf looking at the top of the cube you may well end up with the bottom of the cube being drawn as well. SheetCam sees this as two overlapping outlines. It can often detect and remove these overlapping outlines but it isn't always successful. When you generate a cut the overlapping outlines may well be treated as two separate cuts.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

I have had good results using Solidworks for dxf, best way I have found even if you only want a simple 2d file is to draw the shape and extrude boss/base to give it a thickness.
Then right click on the face and select export to dxf/dwg, select file name/location, then just press enter.
asuratman

Post by asuratman »

Thanks for info. I will try using solidworks to draw my cad. I found it is easy using sheetcam.