Opening Jobs with errors and long start up

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
RobertCNC

Opening Jobs with errors and long start up

Post by RobertCNC »

After the last post of Les in "Job Report Crashing" I think I have additional problems that are unrelated to the crashing of job reports in certain situations.

When opening a saved job I get errors and have to set up my operations again. This because the tool field has become empty. I think my screenshot makes it clear. I created a red arrow which shows the tool SheetCAM should load. However, in the errors it asks for a tool that doesn’t exist in my setup.

Maybe related to this problem is the loading time of SheetCAM which takes about 35 minutes since I added another tool. Before it was 10 minutes which is also way too long. Annoying is the SheetCAM splash screen that stays in front of all my other programs during that time.

Are long tool numbers a problem here? I have no problem typing the numbers in or saving the tools. I also don’t have any problems when running them through the post processor. I really would like to keep my tool numbering in place. Every part of the big number (example: 2032035000) has a meaning like type, diameter, length, angles, etc.

My system with a default install of SheetCAM 6.0.4:
Windows 7 Pro 64
AMD X6 1100T (6 cores @ 3.2GHz)
8 GB RAM
3x SSD in raid 0
Attachments
screenshot error SheetCAM 604.jpg
screenshot error SheetCAM 604.jpg (135.77 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
RobertCNC

Post by RobertCNC »

To add on me previous post:

- Sometimes SheetCAM loads pretty normal after I closed SheetCAM without a job loaded. But I can't get it to do this every time.
- I had these problems also before 6.0.4. Don't know how far back I first noticed these problems but it's many many updates ago (maybe even in v5). I always hoped it would be fixed in the next update, but it didn’t.
RobertCNC

Post by RobertCNC »

Short update:

Last weekend I took the time to change the tool numbers and make a separate tool spreadsheet for looking up tools. It's a bit cumbersome compared to my old system and have lost consistency with other CAM programs. When I have time, I will change the tool numbers in other programs too.

However, after changing the tool numbers to a 4 digit system, I have no longer trouble loading saved jobs. Strange because SheetCAM allowed me to create tools with long numbers.

Loading time of SheetCAM has reduced to a manageable 5 minutes. But of course still way to long for my system. Also here, when I have time I will try a reinstall of SheetCAM.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I really don't understand why SheetCam is loading so slowly. The tool number should not matter though the maximum allowed tool number is 2147483647. SheetCam won't let you go higher than this. Go to Help->open settings folder. A copy of Windows Explorer will pop up. Close SheetCam leaving Windows Explorer open. Now delete everything except your posts, the license file, you ini file and the tools file. Try restarting SheetCam. If it is still slow, close it, rename your tools file and try again. If that doesn't work, close SheetCam and rename your ini file.
RobertCNC

Post by RobertCNC »

Les, all my tool numbers were lower than 2147483647 (see screenshot, highest was 2080052000). Still it gave me errors when loading a saved job. Something wasn’t right until I lowered it to 4 digits. Updating the software through many (sub)versions didn't change my tool problem.

I tried your suggestion of deleting files and also renamed my tool file. It didn’t change the loading time (4 timed startups took between 3 and 5 minutes, loading time seems to vary a bit). When I have the time, I will try a complete reinstall of SheetCAM. For now SheetCAM works with 4 digit tool numbers. I start this program first thing in the morning so I don’t have to wait when I need it. Will update you after the reinstall.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Reinstalling is unlikely to make any difference but you can try it. Did you try renaming your ini file? This will make SheetCam start up as if it has been freshly installed.
RobertCNC

Post by RobertCNC »

Thanks Les!!! Good that you reminded me about the ini file. I renamed it and SheetCAM starts within 2 seconds. So that’s a fix.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Could you send me that ini file. I would really like to get to the bottom of this.
RobertCNC

Post by RobertCNC »

Les, I've send you the ini file by email. Hope it's of use to you.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Thanks Robert. I am uploading an update now. Could you give it a try with your ini file and make sure this fixes the problem on your computer.

I am pretty sure the fault is a synchronization issue when creating the main window. It was difficult to track down as it only showed up when running SheetCam ouside of the debugger. As soon as I tried debugging, the fault went away!
RobertCNC

Post by RobertCNC »

Les, I've tried my old ini file with MeshCAM 6.0.5 and startup is as fast as with the default ini file (under 2 seconds). Great work!!! Thanks!!! I'm very happy with this!
:D
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That's good news, though I didn't expect the ini file to work with MeshCAM :wink:
RobertCNC

Post by RobertCNC »

You're right, I'm surprised too.. :oops: :D