Problem clearing open areas

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
heavy_duty

Problem clearing open areas

Post by heavy_duty »

Hello.I have a problem clearing open areas on the material using a mill.If I have a piece of stock 4x4 square and want to pocket it out 1 inch deep with a boss area in the center.I set a outside offset for the boss.It will cut around the boss but it leaves material every where else.I would like the surface to be uniform in height.Is there something I am missing in the open area contours .Thanks alot.

Ed
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

There are a couple of options here. The first is to use finish allowance. Finish allowance effectively cuts over size so you can do a number of cuts using different finish allowances to clear the area. The other way is to draw a box around your boss on the same layer. You can now use a pocket operation to cut between the box and the boss.
heavy_duty

Post by heavy_duty »

Hello, could you show me what steps are needed to do what you just stated above. How do I get to those menu s to choose those options.thanks again.

Ed
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

When you set up your contour operation there should be an option for finish allowance. Start with a finish allowance that makes the cut path big enough that the cutter only just cuts the outside of your blank. Now set up another contour operation and reduce the finish allowance by whatever step over you want to use. Repeat until you have zero step over. You will have a whole stack of contour operations that will run in sequence.