Scanything / CandCNC setup

General chat and non SheetCam related discussion
JohnB

Scanything / CandCNC setup

Post by JohnB »

Les,

Trying out your newest project, and ran into a snag. I am using CandCNC / Bladerunner controls. I have the plugin loaded and the X/Y/Z readouts in your program are corresponding with MACH, but I am not getting any jog input. I'm afraid I'm not sure where to switch off the "handwheel jog mode"

Thanks,
John
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay in replying. If you can jog Mach using the keyboard you don't have handwheel jog mode enabled. If you have an MPG/electronic handwheel you are quite likely using handwheel jog mode and need to switch to keyboard jogging.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Les

I do not have an MPG or handwheel, only keyboard (which is working okay). I noticed a "toggle" to turn jog on/off which does affect the keyboard. Unfortunately this didn't "release control" to your plugin.

If it matters, I am using the new "EtherCut" system from CandCNC which communicates via lan port.

PS - My applogies on cross-posting. I wasn't sure if the forum or the mailing list was the best way to communicate.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I wonder if the CandCNC plugin is conflicting with the SheetCamRemote plugin. Could you try disabling the CandCNC plugin(s) and see if that helps.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Les - There are two plugins running with the CandCNC install. The "ESS" one interfaces with the new Ethernet Smooth Stepper board, and one for their proprietary USB hub (controls digital height control). I disabled the one for the hub, but there is still no function.

Obviously, I had to leave the other (ESS) running to have PC - Stepper communication.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Hmm, I have to admit I have only tested jogging with the parallel port. It is quite possible that the SmoothStepper handles jogging differently, in which case my plugin won't work. I'll do some research and see what I can find out.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Thanks Les, and of course, I'd be more than willing to test. For reference, here is the hardware they are now using - http://www.warp9td.com/ - kind of an ingenious little device.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I have contacted Warp9. By the way does Scanything show the correct machine position? You should be able to see the position values change as you jog in Mach3.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Yes, the machine position does show up. Granted your program lists "mm" and I am working in "inches", but the actual numbers correspond.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Hmm, That is a good point. I need to check that it detects mm/inch correctly. Are the numbers actually shown in mm or inches?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The numbers follow Mach 1:1 (shows inches), but your display says "mm". (I think that makes sense)
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Thanks. I'll see if there is any way to automatically detect the correct units.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Hi Les - Just curious if you made any headway with the warp9 folks?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

After a conversation with Greg it appears that external hardware works slightly differently to the parallel port. I have attached a copy of the Mach plugin that may work. Unzip the contents of the attached file to c:\mach3\plugins and see if it works. As I don't have an SS I have no idea if this will work.

I will be getting a SmoothStepper to run some more tests.
Attachments
SheetCamRemote.zip
(6.02 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Hey, that got the table moving. I was trying to use a cheap webcam which wouldn't calibrate, and now have an "Andonstar" on order.

Just curious, in the limited testing I did, I had to click the jog buttons (or tap the appropriate arrow key) twice to get any movement or the reverse (twice) to stop. Is this normal or a "bug"?

Thanks again for promptly working on this.