Job variables converting to metric units

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
rrc1962

Job variables converting to metric units

Post by rrc1962 »

Les....

This is occurring on customers PC's but not on ours. What's happening is we have job variables set up and we're using them in the post. On my PC, when I set a variable to 1 it posts as 1. On customer PC's, when I set a variable to 1, it posts 25.4. SC is converting the variable to metric units. The variables show correctly in the variable monitor.

It's almost as if I need to be scaling the variable values, but that wouldn't explain why it works on my PC. All unit settings are set to inch and the jobs cut and post as expected. The only thing being converted to metric is the job variables.

We're all running the same version (5.0.14)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Is your customer using inches? Internally SheetCam always uses metric. In inch mode all numbers are converted to inches when they are displayed. The post processor also uses metric fro all of it's numbers. The variable 'scale' is 1 if the post is set to metric and 1/25.4 if teh post is set to inches. Multiplying your variable by scale will always give a number in the correct units for the post output.
rrc1962

Post by rrc1962 »

Les Newell wrote:Is your customer using inches? Internally SheetCam always uses metric. In inch mode all numbers are converted to inches when they are displayed. The post processor also uses metric fro all of it's numbers. The variable 'scale' is 1 if the post is set to metric and 1/25.4 if teh post is set to inches. Multiplying your variable by scale will always give a number in the correct units for the post output.
I went through mine and the customers screen by screen and the two looked to be set up identical. Under Options, units are set to inches and under Post Processor, Output Units are set to inches. Also when inporting a part, inch scaling is selected. The variables display correctly in variable monitor, they just don't post correctly.

Should they post as they appear in variable monitor or should I be applying the scale factor to the variable values when I post them. It's no problem doing that. I would just need to figure our why my installation works. If I apply the scale factor, then my copy won't post properly.

My variable references look like this....

post.Text (" M1115 P", var.V1, " Q", var.V2, "\n")
post.Text (" M1116 P", var.V3, " Q", var.V4, " R", var.V5, "\n")
post.Text (" M1117 P", var.V6, " Q", var.V7, "\n")

The only variable is that my copy is installed on Win7 and the customers copies are installed on Win XP Pro.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I went through mine and the customers screen by screen and the two looked to be set up identical. Under Options, units are set to inches and under Post Processor, Output Units are set to inches. Also when inporting a part, inch scaling is selected. The variables display correctly in variable monitor, they just don't post correctly.
Just a thought - are the variables defined as the same units on both machines? The inch/metric scaling only applies to linear, pitch and feed rate values.
rrc1962

Post by rrc1962 »

Les Newell wrote:
Just a thought - are the variables defined as the same units on both machines? The inch/metric scaling only applies to linear, pitch and feed rate values.
That may be it. I have mine set to "none". I think when I set up customers machines I just left them set to to the default of "Linear".