Nesting ?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
floyd isbell

Nesting ?

Post by floyd isbell »

In sheetcam I was able to nest parts but now I am having trouble with making layers and processing. It only picks up some of the parts to be cut.
I have read the on line manual but still not sure what to do. any help would be great.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Are the operations set up correctly for each part? Parts are independent of each other and the operations on one part do not affect other parts.
floyd isbell

Post by floyd isbell »

I'm not sure.I do see that when I process the parts, the missing parts come up in error saying "no operation for part#. I import each file.each time while nesting and it asks me if I want to import the part into the ones I have on working area. I select yes. Then I duplicate parts. So after I nest 4 parts that I have duplicated to a total of 6 each. I then attempt to make operation for them. This is where I guess I am missing something. I went back and selected each part and duplicates then made an operation for each one after trying to put each one on a separate layer thinking that would help. I still was only able to process two out of four parts with their duplicates. I tried until a screen came up that said something about a "BUG" then it deleted my entire nest and closed sheetcam. By this point I was ready to give up anyhow! I am sure that I am missing a step or to that would make this work correctly. So here I am. I cant believe out of all the people I talk to It's as if I am trying to do something they have never done.
floyd isbell

Post by floyd isbell »

Nesting tutorial
In the previous tutorial we plasma cut a single part. In this tutorial will cut a number of parts.
You need to have nesting enabled to do this. Make sure that 'Options\Application
options\Advanced tab\Allow multiple parts' is selected.

I am not sure that I saw or check "Allow multiple parts" in selection under operations Tab. or when I select the nesting symbol on top does it enable this? Could be part of the problem.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I am not sure that I saw or check "Allow multiple parts" in selection under operations Tab. or when I select the nesting symbol on top does it enable this? Could be part of the problem.
No. You managed to create several parts so this is not the problem.
I'm not sure.I do see that when I process the parts, the missing parts come up in error saying "no operation for part#.
OK. This means that you didn't manage to set up operations correctly on those parts.
Then I duplicate parts. So after I nest 4 parts that I have duplicated to a total of 6 each. I then attempt to make operation for them
You cannot create operations on duplicates. Duplicates are a direct step-and-repeat of the original part so any operations on the original part will automatically appear on the duplicate. To create an operation on the original part you need to make sure you have that part selected and you are not in nesting mode.

I'm not sure what happened with the crash. Did you send a debug report?
floyd isbell

Post by floyd isbell »

when I reopened sheet cam it gave me an option to reload page with nest. This I was happy with! I switched to the edit contour button and that allowed me to somehow get everything to process. I did select holes thinking i could put them on a different layer. Ended up cutting parts without the holes. So after I finished cutting I went back in and processed the holes and finished the job. Although I was able to get this done I'm still not sure exactly how I did it! Also to select allow multiple parts on Tab,I had to select something in options page to allow it. Stumbled onto it. It feels like I'm a blind person with a wall full of buttons, but I guess I will figure them out someday. Is there a tech phone # ? I am a phone guy. When I'm at the shop there is no internet and would be nice to be able to have someone talk me through it while in front of the screen. Thanks for getting back to me.