.svg help

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
pbody140

.svg help

Post by pbody140 »

im using version 4.1.16 but i cant seem to get an svg file to import. ive saved it multiple times with inkscape with all different settings but it never takes it in. when i import the file the screen zooms ridiculously far out and doesnt show anything. anyone got any ideas??
Ray Phelps

.svg help

Post by Ray Phelps »

Try saving as DXF file, that's all I've ever used ?
Ray

To: problems@forum.sheetcam.com
Subject: .svg help
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 09:01:54 -0500

im using version 4.1.16 but i cant seem to get an svg file to import. ive saved it multiple times with inkscape with all different settings but it never takes it in. when i import the file the screen zooms ridiculously far out and doesnt show anything. anyone got any ideas??

Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Could you post a sample svg file so I can try to find out what is going on.
pbody140

Post by pbody140 »

thanks for looking into this guys, Ive tried saving as a dxf out of inkscape and it does the same zoom out thing. I got the person who sent it to me to send it as a dxf from their software (I think adobe something) and it kinda comes up. It splits into two pieces and isn't solid. I want to engrave this with my Mitsubishi laser but all Ive ever done is cutting parts and engraving single line letters. never any polygons. here is a link to my dropbox folder with the files Ive been using in it along with a couple screen shots:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rcwlysfe4njzuyv/fEoHflCLq3

thanks again guys
ArchieF

Post by ArchieF »

Trying to export your svg file from Inkscape with the buildtin save-as *.dxf file failed.

But I installed this extension and had success :

http://www.bobcookdev.com/inkscape/inkscape-dxf.html

Richard
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I found the problem. The SVG library I use doesn't support the 'switch' element. Your svg file uses switch because it has an embedded version of the drawing in Illustrator format. I have attached a hacked version of the library that does support switch. To install it, unzip the attachment into C:\program files\SheetCam TNG or C::\program files\SheetCam TNG Develpment.

Note that in 64 bit versions of Windows you need to use 'Program Files (X86)', not 'Program files'

If you have trouble with this, the fix will also be in the next release.
Attachments
libSVG.zip
(141.18 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I just had a look at the dxf file. That file is horrible. I don't know what Inkscape is trying to do but the end result is a mess. Hopefully the fix should solve your SVG issue.
pbody140

Post by pbody140 »

That's great Les, it worked right away. It set it up so I could cut out on the lines. Now I know that I'm asking for a lot but what I really want to do is engrave the logo solid. So everything you see in black gets a pass by the laser. Like a printer or kinda like doing a pocketing routine over all the black area with a super small diameter end mill, except of course just using my laser on a super low setting. I hope I'm making sense and don't sound like a fool... Is that a possibility in sheetcam?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

You can't pocket with a laser tool but try this: Set up a mill tool with equivalent diameter and cut height. Now do a zigzag pocket with this tool.

The results won't be perfect as you will probably end up with a deep line around the edge of the engraving but it may work well enough for you.

Just a thought - you may need to do a cut with a laser tool first to set up things like the power and start and end delays.
ArchieF

Post by ArchieF »

Looks like V 4.1.16 doesn't do the job. Had to copy your hacked library into the Sheetcam folder to make it work with pbody's svg file.

Richard
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That is right. Only 4.0.16 Stable has the update. I will release a new 4.1.17 Development once I get the latest round of additions debugged and working.
pbody140

Post by pbody140 »

so i ended up just going back to dxf and drawing lines inside of the outlines of the letters. took forever to do it but it looked so sweet... thanks again for the help les.

--ray
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Ouch. That sounds like hard work. Are you likely to do this sort of thing often?
pbody140

Post by pbody140 »

hopefully so... If I can mange to get it to work Id pick up a decent amount of business engraving. I found that it looks pretty crappy if you just go back and forth over the letters.(aswell as takes for ever!)It gives crappy edges that look like a crayon drawing outside a line. What worked best was to spiral inward every .02 inches. probably not such an easy feature to add.

Right now I'm out of country but when I get back I'll see if I can snap a few pictures.

--ray
skirschenmann01

Re: .svg help

Post by skirschenmann01 »

I am having this exact same issue. My wife exports .SVG from her Silhouette Studio program and emails it to me. When I save and import the drawing nothing appears. Please Help!