Offset

If you have any problems accessing the forum or email then ask here.
Redge

Offset

Post by Redge »

Hello, For holes with my settings, with inside offset i get 1/16 smaller hole than my drawing. Is there a way to reverse it to get bigger hole, like using outside offset ?? but when i set on outside offset the lead-in is on the wrong side.
robertspark

Re: Offset

Post by robertspark »

what is your kerf set at within the tool you are using?

Inside offset, offsets the cut to the inside of the shape (hence any lead in will be on the inside) and the offset is 1/2 the kerf width (if your application is plasma) or 1/2 the tool width if your tool is a milling tool.

Ouside offsets, offsets the cut to the outside of the shape..... hence the leadin will be on the outside.

No offset puts the cut to the centre of your shape (circle).
2020-01-03 17_40_36-Window.png
2020-01-03 17_40_36-Window.png (13.6 KiB) Viewed 15296 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

One option is to tweak your kerf width in the tool definition. If you reduce the kerf width by 1/16 the hole will end up 1/16 bigger.
Redge

Post by Redge »

I already think to do that, but it will change all the cut. Maybe i should make a tool for outside offset and for inside offset ? is it the only way ?
Redge

Post by Redge »

I made another tool for hole, but when i cut several parts it make all the holes for all the parts, i prefer make one part at a time. Nothing is perfect in this world :cry:
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

You need to make 2 operations for each part. First one is the holes, second one is everything else. Then it will cut like you want.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Go to Options->job options->Nesting and change from 'minimise tool changes' to 'keep parts together' It will now cut the holes for the part then the outline before moving on to the next part.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I would have never guessed that. Isn't it all the same tool?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

You define one tool with the tweaked kerf width and another with the correct kerf. As far as SheetCam is concerned these are two independent tools, even though they are actually the same physical tool.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

That makes sense. I guess I've never used that setting. I assume it runs through the tools that are used for inside offset operations first. Or does it just start with the first tool and do all the operations that use that tool before moving to the next tool?
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

I always get a pause when I have 2 different tools in the one operation, that's usually my cue to hit the spacebar as must be a mismatch in chosen tool :lol:
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:46 pmI assume it runs through the tools that are used for inside offset operations first. Or does it just start with the first tool and do all the operations that use that tool before moving to the next tool?
In 'Minimise tool changes' mode it runs the first operation of the part nearest the 0,0 origin. It then looks for then looks for the next nearest operation that uses the same tool. It keeps going until it runs out of operations using that tool. It then moves on to the next tool and so on. Note that operations in each part are always cut in order. It just juggles parts to keep the number of tool changes to a minimum.
Say you have two parts, one uses tool 1 then tool 2 then back to tool 1. The second just uses tool 2. SheetCam would run part 1, first operation. Next it would switch to tool 2 and run part 1 second op then part 2. Finally it would switch back to tool 1 and run part 1 third op.

In 'keep parts together' mode it runs all of the operations on the first part then runs all of the operations on the next part and so on. Again, in each part the operations are always run in the sequence that they appear in the 'operations' window. If you have one operation for your holes then another operation for to cut the part out it is up to you to make sure the hole cutting operation is before the one that cuts the outline.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

SeanP wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:31 pm I always get a pause when I have 2 different tools in the one operation, that's usually my cue to hit the spacebar as must be a mismatch in chosen tool :lol:
Your control is stopping to allow you to change tools. Most control software can be configured to ignore tool changes. Alternatively the post can be modified to not bother outputting tool changes.
Redge

Post by Redge »

Thank you very much, you dont know how much you helped me! It's just perfect now.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Les Newell wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:29 am
SeanP wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:31 pm I always get a pause when I have 2 different tools in the one operation, that's usually my cue to hit the spacebar as must be a mismatch in chosen tool :lol:
Your control is stopping to allow you to change tools. Most control software can be configured to ignore tool changes. Alternatively the post can be modified to not bother outputting tool changes.
Ah right I see now, that would be handy, a few times it would be useful to use a different tool, likes of kerf with.

Is it in this section the post wants changing? any chance you might give me a help plz

Code: Select all

function OnToolChange()
      offX = 0
      offY = 0
      offZ = 0
  if (toolClass =="DrillTool" ) then
       post.Text (" (tool number: ", tool ," ")
	   post.Text (" Plasma peck drill )")
	   post.Eol()
	   if (fullTAP ~=0) then --check to see if full tap
         if(presetAmps >0) then
           post.Text ( " (Preset AMPS: " ,presetAmps,") ")
		   post.Eol()
		 else
		 post.Eol()
         end
	  if(presetPSI>0) then
	        post.Text ( " ( Air Pressure Preset: " ,presetPSI,") ")
			post.Eol()
	  end
   else
      post.Text (" (tool number: ", tool ," ")
      post.Text (" Distance between Touch-offs: " , refDistance * scale, " ")
      post.Text(" Feedrate: ", feedRate * scale , ") \n")
    end
  end -- drilltool
  if (toolClass== "PlasmaTool") then
   if (verbose == true) then
      if(dthcOff == 0) then
        post.Text (" (DTHC has been disabled in this tool)\n")
      end
	  if(presetVolts >0) then
         post.Text ( "(Preset Volts: ",presetVolts,") " )
	  else
	  --post.Text ("(")
      end
     if (fullTAP ~=0) then --check to see if full tap
         if(presetAmps >0) then
           post.Text ( " (Preset AMPS: " ,presetAmps,") ")
		   post.Eol()
		 else
		 post.Eol()
         end
	  if(presetPSI>0) then
	        post.Text ( " ( Air Pressure Preset: " ,presetPSI,") ")
			post.Eol()
	  end
	 if (softPierce > 0 ) then
	  softPierce2  = (softPierce / 10)
        if (softPierce2 >= 10 ) then
		  softPierce2 = 0
	    end
	 else
	  softPierce2 = 0
	end