Rest material milling

Request and discuss new features
hans

Rest material milling

Post by hans »

Sometimes you have a large pocket and you want some sharp edges or it has some spiky contours.
So you would like to mill 99% of the pocket with a big mill and only the parts that mill isn't able to mill with a smaller one.
Like this example.
Screenshot_2021-01-27_17-39-19.png
Screenshot_2021-01-27_17-39-19.png (20.07 KiB) Viewed 6254 times

Something like rest material removal.
I know this is hard to implement because it depends on the previous operations. And I don't even know if it is possible with your software concept.
But may you keep it in mind ;-)

Another thing is snapping of a circle's center or a corner to the grid. Have I missed something or is that not possible?
And what are action points? I couldn't find something about that in the manual...
Brian Lamb

Re: Rest material milling

Post by Brian Lamb »

What I usually do in this case is to rough out the pocket as you have shown, then do a contour pass with the smaller end mill, maybe two passes with a larger offset on the first if you have more in the corners than a single pass will get. Not exactly rest machining, but it usually works out pretty well.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Yes, rest milling is a hard nut to crack. It's one of those functions I look at occasionally when I'm feeling particularly masochistic. So far I haven't come up with anything that works reliably.
hans

Post by hans »

Brian Lamb wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:28 pm What I usually do in this case is to rough out the pocket as you have shown, then do a contour pass with the smaller end mill, maybe two passes with a larger offset on the first if you have more in the corners than a single pass will get. Not exactly rest machining, but it usually works out pretty well.
Yes that is sometimes a workaround, but on parts with a large contour line and a little area it makes sometimes no difference to mill all with the small mill.
On simple parts like rectangles where a want to have sharp edges I add a layer which only handles the edges.
Les Newell wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:03 pm Yes, rest milling is a hard nut to crack. It's one of those functions I look at occasionally when I'm feeling particularly masochistic.
:mrgreen:

Snapping to circle's center is not yet implemented, isn't it?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

hans wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:37 am Snapping to circle's center is not yet implemented, isn't it?
Snapping where? Measure for instance should snap to the centre if there is a blue cross.
hans

Post by hans »

Snapping to the grid when moving a Part.
If I have a part with a hole and want the hole to be centred in the origin.
Brian Lamb

Post by Brian Lamb »

Isn't that accomplished by just clicking on translate, choose the center of the hole and type in 0,0? That's how I do it.
hans

Post by hans »

Ok. Yes that's the only way I can do it actually.