Turning module

Request and discuss new features
Les Newell
Site Admin

Turning module

Post by Les Newell »

I'm currently working on the long awaited turning module. Lathe tool paths are a lot more complicated to generate than milliing/plasma tool paths and I never saw a good way of using my current offsetting code to to this. Recently I started using a new geometry tool kit for the new zigzag pocketing algorithm and I realised it could also be used as a basis for generating lathe tool paths. My initial experiments have proved to be pretty promising.

It's still early days but yet but I would be very interested in any input. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage on this one as I've never done any turning in a production environment. I have had a lathe for years but I've only used it for my own jobs (mainly in manual mode) and a few small CNC production jobs.

If you have used a turning CAM, what did you like about it and what did you dislike? What turning strategies do you want to see?
robertspark

Re: Turning module

Post by robertspark »

Les that would be very good in sheetcam (or a secondary plugin / product), put me on that list to buy / trial for you.

I am just a hobby user and not a big user, but the problem I see is the flexibility of postprocessing that allows the gcode sequence to be changed as some CNC controllers don't have some functions (like CSS / unit per rev feedrate)

and also the sequence of thread turning like G76 and the difference between Mach3 / Mach4 / uccnc / linuxcnc.... sheetcam by its flexible postprocessing allows the sequence and nomenclature to change

have you seen ezilathe?
https://www.cnczone.com/forums/uncatego ... forum.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=ezilath ... 60&bih=641

Ezilathe : https://www.cnczone.com/forums/download ... file&id=21
Manual: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/download ... file&id=22

it is a nice little program for profile turning and visualization.

fusion 360 I just find way too complex (for a hobby user) and the post processors just baffle when looking to edit them (there is just too much variance between the cnc controllers + software to not have to fiddle with the post processors as turn just seems too small (ignored?) a sector)

for visualisation grblgru
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I haven't come across Ezilathe before. Thanks for the link.
put me on that list to buy / trial for you
The turning module will be an extra cost option (price unknown at this point). However while it's still under heavy development it will be free with a rolling time limit. As long as you keep installing the latest version it won't time out. I've used this system for all major updates from the very first SheetCam release and it seems to work well. When it comes out of beta I'll be giving a few free licenses out to the most active testers as a thank you.
turn just seems too small (ignored?) a sector
The problem is that there are far more plasma/router/mill users than lathe users, especially in the lower end/hobby market. Developing lathe CAM involves a lot of work and if there aren't a lot of users it's difficult to make money out of it. Luckily for me SheetCam is doing well enough that I can afford to subsidise turning to a certain extent. It will never earn as well as the plasma side for example but it's something I want to do.
Racer

Post by Racer »

Looking foreword to this.
catsh16

Post by catsh16 »

we got CNC lathe last fall, but it's a legit industral machine & has it's own integrated programming interface. Thus it's hard to imagine choosing to using sheetcam to program it. There is a lot more going on in terms of continuously adjusting Spindle speed to match the cutter's SFM. Our turning toolpaths are typically max. 6 line/curve segments. Sheetcam (or other) is a must for programming our router with respect to complex geometries.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

There is a lot more going on in terms of continuously adjusting Spindle speed to match the cutter's SFM
Stuff like CSS isn't that hard to implement, even if the machine hardware does not support it.
Our turning toolpaths are typically max. 6 line/curve segments.
I have noticed quite a lot of smaller job shops with lathes tend to hand program them.
The above is one big reason why it has taken me so long to get around to a lathe module. I know it is unlikely to be a big seller.

It comes down to what you are using the machine for. If you are producing lots of relatively simple parts, hand coding makes sense. You can afford the time to tweak the code to get the absolute best out of the machine. However if you are producing more complex parts and lower volumes CAM becomes more attractive. The CAM toolpaths may not be quite as efficient as hand coded paths but the reduced programming time offsets that. For instance I often make custom decorative parts with complex curves. While hand coding is possible it's pretty tedious. That's where CAM becomes much more attractive.
Pmp1

Post by Pmp1 »

Les I would be interested in the turning module, I have an ecoca lathe with a mitsubishi meldas 520al controller. The machine is great but hand programming is very time consuming due to the interface. I have been looking for a cam module to be able input through the com port to decrease programming time.
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Les,

Count me in on this as well. I am running a Centroid Acorn controlled Dyna DM3000

Beevo
rocket_troy

Post by rocket_troy »

I would also be interested in it although I'm currently happy with my current solution. Where I can see turning tool path generation to be significantly more complicated is with the geometry recognition of the tools and the identification of collision detection of the tool and the workpiece. This is a critically important feature for turning tool path generation IMHO - not just for the obvious boring clearances and whatnot, but also with the actual path generation to achieve the required profile from the tool geometry.

Troy
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

My current test code recognizes most common tool geometries and generates valid tool paths for them. It does not have tool shank collision detection though. I'm hoping to have a beta available towards the end of summer.
rocket_troy

Post by rocket_troy »

Good stuff. Yeah, I can't see tool shank collision detection being a critical inclusion - of course a "nice to have", but maybe some graphical illustration (simulation) can illustrate any close encounters.

Troy
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Yes, simulation is essential. With turning there are so many interesting ways to destroy your work!
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

And even without software intervention.....

Bill V
rocket_troy

Post by rocket_troy »

And even without software intervention.....
ohhhhh...yeah... and it's always on the last frigg'n process or pass!

Troy
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

You too?.....

Bill V