Scananything - Manually draw and Distortion

Request and discuss new features
kinglevel

Scananything - Manually draw and Distortion

Post by kinglevel »

Hello

Thx for these sweet software. Started using sheetcam for a old burny 2.5 controller, works like a charm!

We have talked a long time here about scanning scrap sheet metal parts. It is a common issue that we have odd looking parts laying around, hard to nest parts onto it.

Scananything is cool and all, but it seems like it is only aimed for 2 controllers and not an all around solution.

So basically my imaginary workflow would be:

*Calibrate and measure camera lens distortion.
*Mount camera over cutting table.
*Take picture
*Undistort
*Draw simple 2d outline of the sheet
*Enter known lengths
*Export to DXF

Does anyone know of a similar software that does this?
SeanP

Re: Scananything - Manually draw and Distortion

Post by SeanP »

I have scananything I have only used it on half a dozen jobs I found it a bit slow, you need a really good clean outline to trace or it jumps and need to start again, in my case the dxf was best traced over again to get a clean drawing.

Just did a job today and partly as I nicked my long usb cable for another job :lol: I ended up just using the table to get co-ords for a outline trace on cardboard, that's slow and prone to error.

Got me thinking it's a pity scananything didn't have a manual mode where it just added a position as you move manually around the trace and then created a series of points on the saved drawing, maybe something to think about in the future it would be a very useful feature I'm sure.
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg (223.85 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
djreiswig

Re: Scananything - Manually draw and Distortion

Post by djreiswig »

That would be slick. Maybe be able to specify an arc and then select the center and start and end points to draw the arcs or holes, or just start and end points for lines.