Overcutting part of a pocket outline

Request and discuss new features
benezan

Overcutting part of a pocket outline

Post by benezan »

Hello,

I'm still using the old version of sheetcam and have never updated to TNG since the parts I make have always been very simple, until now.

This time I have to make several parts with an "open pocket", that means the outer contour of the part and the pocket overlap. (see picture)

The green rectangle is the part outline. The red one is the pocket as in the original drawing. If I machine a pocket in the usual way it will look like the yellow. What I actually like to have is the blue contour. It should overcut the part outline by at least half the cutter diameter to make the pocket fully open instead of leaving two arced corners.

In the old version there already was an "overcut corners" feature. I've read there is also a new overcut feature in the TNG version. Is it what I want or something different?

Of course if it was only one part I could manually modify the drawing. But it gets annyoing if you have to do it often. Would be a reason for updrading...

Cheers
Bene
Attachments
Sheetcam-OvercutContour.png
Sheetcam-OvercutContour.png (7.38 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Hi Bene,

I'm afraid you still have to modify your drawing in the latest SheetCam. The new overcutting is mainly for plasma/laser use. For closed shapes it allows you to overshoot the cut start point befores ending the cut. This helps remove the 'pip' that often forms at the start of the cut.
benezan

Post by benezan »

Hi Les,

ok, thanks for clarifying. Then you can take this as enhancement request. :wink:

Would be nice if I could simply click on one or two of the lines of a pocket outline to switch off the cutter offset at that line to make it being overcut.