G41 for USBCNC?

Request and discuss new features
Spartan117

G41 for USBCNC?

Post by Spartan117 »

Hey Les,

i know that you tried to support G41/42 earlier and that you've given up because every control wants its own kind of entry-moves etc.

So that means it COULD be done, but for every control seperatly?

If so, how much would it cost me, if i would like to have G41/42 working for USBCNC?

Thank you very much and best regards,

Marc
Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 »

Not interested or not enough time or simply not seen yet? ;)
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Currently SheetCam is not capable of supporting G41/G42. I did do some experiments but didn't finish implementing G41/G42 support after the struggles I had with entry moves.
Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 »

Hello Les,

as i said, would it be possible to "buy" this Addon from you?
The needed entry-moves for USBCNC are documented very clearly in the usbcnc-manual at edingcnc.com
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I can't really do this as an addon btu I'll take another look at the code and see if I can get it working. I do need to finish off V carving and some changes to the plasma path generation first.

One problem I came across was handling ramped cuts. In some cases the cutter needs to 'back up' after a ramped entry. Do you know of any way to implement this in G-code when using G41/G42? Most controllers will choke if you simple swap G41/G42 when you back up.
Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 »

Sorry, i do not understand, what you mean? Can you describe this in another way?
What do you mean with "back up" ?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Spartan117 wrote:Sorry, i do not understand, what you mean? Can you describe this in another way?
What do you mean with "back up" ?
Imagine you have a simple straight line cut but you want to use ramping. The cutter will ramp down to depth but it then has to reverse direction to clean up the ramp and leave a square cut start. You wouldn't normally use G41/G42 on a straight line cut but the same applies if you are using a leadin and leadout or if you are using holding tabs.
Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 »

Other programs i know don't do this, also.
You have to do the first cut without G41, and then the contour again with G41.
There are no possibilities for ramps or stuff like that