Plasma drill

Request and discuss new features
Scott V

Plasma drill

Post by Scott V »

Hi Les,
Just a question about Plasma drill. Is there a way to setup a plasma drill to punch through at all the start points on a cut piece? Just at the lead-in point of every pierce. The reason I am asking this so you could pre-pierce with a drill program on thick metal, and then change to a new nozzle and run the program to cut out everything in another layer using a standard plasma tool. Of course starting at all your pre- plasma drilled holes... It would allow better overall cut quality because there would be way less chance of wiping out a shield or nozzle. It's similar to edge starting on thicker materiel, and would add capability to your overall piercing thickness..

Many times using the lowest amp nozzles that will cut though the steel, yields a much better cut overall.Generally have to go up too much on amps and nozzle size to get it to Pierce clean enough, but edge angularity suffers, along with cut face quality.. Just trying to cheat the system a bit..

Thanks,
Scott
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That can only be done by using two post processors. The first post would just generate the pierce holes then the second post would generate the cut paths as normal. I would have to make a post to do the drilling.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I was wondering about this very thing as well.
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

I am using the MP3000 DTHCII+Scriber2 post (as many are) in case you needed one to try it out on.. :)Since I am on this subject,thought I would add this below..

I am guessing I could now use with the plasma drill parameters set like this below. My Esab cutter had a setting for starting a Pierce at a lower height, and moving up to a higher pierce height while finishing the pierce on thicker metal. I would think just swapping the pierce height, and cut Height parameters in the drill tool setting would make this possible? As long as you had the refDistance set to zero . It would allow for longer life of your sacrificial piercing consumables.. So you are still using the original pierce height, and when it moved to cut height, it would move up instead of down.. I don't see any reason the z would not move that way too.. I need to go down to the shop, and run it a bit..

Initial Pierce height Pierce Height
.200 0.280

OK tried the different heights while piercing, The torch moves up, but only after the delay time has expired, To truly make it work correct, it would need to move up at the time it fires/arc transfers to the plate.. I had to manually edit thc S20 code to S-10 to keep the THC off. No need for it anyway in the pierce mode..Just can cause issues, Made a bunch of drills in 750. ms, and all is good.. 80 amp Victor is rated for 5/8 pierce, and this moves it up to .750 and maybe a bit beyond that too..Need to get the torch to lift correct,to get any more.. The victor can cut .750 really nice at 60 amps output, slow but extremely nice finish. So drill @80 amps, and cut at 70/60 amps is a nice option..(have nozzles for each size) Wish I still had my A-120 now..:)

Thanks,
Scott
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I have attached a post that should do the piercing. You will have to use a different post for cutting. If you go to Options->plugin options->moreposts you can add extra post processor buttons so you don't need to go through Options->machine->post processor each time.
Attachments
Mach3 THC pre-pierce.scpost
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Love this! Had to babysit a 1/2" sheet earlier this week, making sure the torch didn't end up in the slag pile as it moved out of the pierce. Looking forward to trying it out! Thanks!
tinman13

Post by tinman13 »

Exactly what I was looking for! Once again Thank You Les!! :D
Steve
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Are posts interchangeable between Linux and windows versions of Sheetcam?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Yes. There is no difference in the posts.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Les Newell wrote: If you go to Options->plugin options->moreposts you can add extra post processor buttons so you don't need to go through Options->machine->post processor each time.
Nifty!
learn something new nearly every time you look on here.
Will have to give that post a try, could be useful for sheets of base plates.
Thanks
Old Iron

Post by Old Iron »

Thanks for writing this for us
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Les Newell wrote:Yes. There is no difference in the posts.
This post is not working in CommandCNC. Giving "unknown G code" errors. I'll post on the CandCNC forum and see if they can tell me what needs to be changed.
motoguy

Re: Plasma drill

Post by motoguy »

I've posted the Mach code in the CandCNC forum, but had no success getting the admin to modify it for CommandCNC use, nor in being told the differences in syntax (so I could modify it myself). I'm planning on digging in manually, and playing with it to see if I can slog my way through a conversion to a working pierce-only post for CommandCNC. I've never played with significant post modification, so we'll see what we can do.

In the meantime, if any of you are familiar with the differences between Mach post syntax and CommandCNC (linux) post syntax, I'd appreciate any tips you may have to offer!

Here's the Admin response from the CandCNC site:

"Well Les is not correct. There is no real difference in the FUNCTIONS but there is a big difference in Syntax (the actual Gcode commands )"

https://www.candcnc.com/supportforum/vi ... =24&t=1890
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

There is no difference between the Windows and Linux versions of SheetCam but as Tom said there is most definitely a difference between Mach and CommandCNC. I'll see if I have a CommandCNC post and tweak it to just pierce.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Here is one that was put together (not by me, untested, no guarantee it'll work) before Tom came in and put a stop to it. He is very adamant that pre-piercing is not the "correct" way to be cutting. All I know, is using the pre-pierce post on Mach (with thick material) saved me a lot of headaches!

I haven't had a chance to try this one out yet, but you may take a look at it.

Thanks!
THC_pre-pierce_LinuxCNC.scpost
(4.23 KiB) Downloaded 297 times