Split contour for different operations?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
viesturs.lacis

Split contour for different operations?

Post by viesturs.lacis »

Hello!

I have an issue with setting up my customer for generating g-code for the parts they are making on a mill I made for them. The product is custom-shaped boards for flooring. The boards need to be connected together on all 4 edges, so 2 consecutive edges need male connection, another 2 edges need female connection.
In CAD initial board contour is a closed contour. They are splitting the contour in corners, offsetting 2 edges for female connection and then saving in separate layer with specific layer name each edge and also the closed contour as that is needed as well. In SheetCAM they have master job file with all the operations for particular layer names:
1st operation is contour milling to remove scrap material - closed contour used for this one
2nd operation is female connection on 2 edges
3rd operation is male connection on remaining 2 edges
2nd and 3d operations use the same tool, but they have different cut depth.
The question is - is there a way to "split" the contour (preferably in opposite corners) so that I can specify particular region for an operation to be performed? I suspect that lead in/lead out would be required before/after Z height change.
Offsetting edges for female connection could be solved with a negative finish allowance or defining smaller tool diameter. But I have no idea, how to do the rest. I would appreciate any ideas...
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Split contour for different operations?

Post by Les Newell »

Break your drawing into layers. Use different layers for operations 2 and 3. That way you can apply each operation to it's specific layer.
viesturs.lacis

Re: Split contour for different operations?

Post by viesturs.lacis »

Yes, that is how they do it currently - save each edge in a different layer. The thing is that splitting and offsetting the closed contour takes a lot of time (zoom in on each corner, trim one edge slightly shorter, add some lines to represent lead-in and lead-out), because there are close to hundred parts for a particular project.
So do I understand correctly that it is not possible at the moment to make an operation selected portion of a contour? Is there a chance to edit contour in SheetCAM in a way that selected line segments (arc or straight line) could be copied/moved to different layers?