Plasma is piercing and running sequence but not cutting

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
artfullyrogue

Plasma is piercing and running sequence but not cutting

Post by artfullyrogue »

PHX 2021AWARD.tap
notepad file
(13.85 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
I'm having to refresh on sheetcam and have run into an issue I'm sure I'm just overlooking. I created a design in InkSkape and then created the tap file in SheetCam. Everything shows up in Mach3 as it should however when I start the sequence, the torch does its first pierce through the material then runs the pattern without the torch being on. Moves to the next cut path, pierces , torch turns off, sequence runs and this will repeat for the whole design. Any thoughts? What am I missing? What more info do you need?
download/file.php?mode=view&id=2154&sid ... f26c71781f
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Plasma is piercing and running sequence but not cutting

Post by Les Newell »

Is your cut height correct? If you are cutting too high, the torch may cut out shortly after it fires.
artfullyrogue

Post by artfullyrogue »

Just double checked torch height and had the same issue. I have the Langmuir system and don't have a Z axis so I manually set the height. I even tried cutting with the torch directly on the material and then again with the proper height set and I get the same result. The first time coming out of inkskape I used an svg file in sheetcam and thought that might be the issue. Then I saved the file in inkskape as a dxf and moved it into sheetcam and I"m still getting the same issue.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Is there a light or other indicator on the machine to tell you when the torch is on? I re-checked the code and it is turning the torch on at the start of each cut then turning it off at the end of the cut. For some reason the torch is shutting off when it shouldn't. Just a thought - are you getting a good ground contact to your work? If the plasma doesn't have a good ground connection it could cause the arc to stop.
artfullyrogue

Post by artfullyrogue »

The ground seems to be attached securely. I took it off, cleaned the area and re-attached the ground. Unfortunately there isn't any indicator light on the machine to show that the torch is lit. And I'm using the ViperCut 30i that came with the Langmuir system. Prior to using sheetcam, I had a subscription to Fusion360 and everything worked fine. My subscription ended so I went back to sheet cam. This is why I'm wondering if its not something I'm missing in setting up the cut path in sheetcam.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Do you have any g-code files from Fusion? If so, try one of them. If it works, post a copy here so I can take a look at it.
artfullyrogue

Post by artfullyrogue »

float valve bracketv2.tap
(816 Bytes) Downloaded 63 times

Not sure if that attaches properly, but this would have been the last file I used from Fusion
artfullyrogue

Post by artfullyrogue »

Les, I figured it out. It was how I was saving the file from Inskape. Once I chose to save it as a .dxf a pop-up "Desktop Cutting Plotter" appears and I changed "Layer export selection" to " Visable only" as opposed to All (default) and the plasma cut out everthing as designed. Thanks for your help on this.