Going nuts over "Open paths" that are not actually open...

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
jtcrowder49

Going nuts over "Open paths" that are not actually open...

Post by jtcrowder49 »

Hi all,

I am trying to cut out a very simple 2D profile on a router table, but I keep getting the error "open paths not offset" I thought I corrected this based on the information I found on this forum. Unfortunately, not. The file is actually a closed path. I have redrawn it twice in Solidworks to confirm this, and exported it about 20 times as a DXF. No fix. I have zoomed in as far as possible and the path is still connected.

Additionally, the 3d part is rendered in SW so it must be connected.

What can I do to correct the issue? What am I missing? Obviously I am missing something.

Running the latest stable SC version.

Thank you,

Going Crazy
jtcrowder49

Re: Going nuts over "Open paths" that are not actually open...

Post by jtcrowder49 »

Upon doing more research this may not be an issue with SC. Looks like it is related to the way i have drawn the part using splines. Basically, I have drawn an arch using splines and connected the bottom with a short line on each end. For whatever reason the splines are causing my issue. Strange.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Yes, SheetCam doesn't work well with splines. If you can convert the splines to polylines you will have better luck.
As a side note, if you turn on path ends in SheetCam you can check your path for little white dots. It will help you find inadvertent open paths.
jtcrowder49

Post by jtcrowder49 »

djreiswig wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:34 am Yes, SheetCam doesn't work well with splines. If you can convert the splines to polylines you will have better luck.
As a side note, if you turn on path ends in SheetCam you can check your path for little white dots. It will help you find inadvertent open paths.
Thank you for the suggestions. I have tried all of that. Unfortunately, I am now redrawing the part with arcs. Nothing else has worked for me.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

https://youtu.be/CBst2xEdrHE
Start about 4:00. Save as R12 dxf and select convert splines to polylines in the options.
I don't have SW so I can't test this.
jtcrowder49

Post by jtcrowder49 »

djreiswig wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:01 am https://youtu.be/CBst2xEdrHE
Start about 4:00. Save as R12 dxf and select convert splines to polylines in the options.
I don't have SW so I can't test this.
Thank you. I will try this. I tried drawing as an arc but no dice. still has the same issue in the same spot.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

This dxf is just a spline drawn in soldworks, I don't have any problems with that error in sheetcam.
maybe upload the sw part file to look at?
Attachments
1.DXF
(13.61 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

First of all, make sure View->Show segment ends is turned off. Make sure View->show path ends is turned on. You will now see white dots where SheetCam thinks there are gaps. Zoom in on the dots. Can you see any gaps? If not you could have part of the outline on a different layer.
Show the layers (View->layer tool). Do you have more than one layer? If so you can select each layer by clicking on it. That may give you an idea what is going on.

If you post a copy of your dxf here I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what is going on.
jtcrowder49

Post by jtcrowder49 »

Thanks for the response guys. Sorry for the long wait. The holiday and the summer shutdown at work has me all tied up. Unfortunately, I had to redraw the entire thing line by line to get it to work. I do not know what the difference was but I will attach the DXF here. Maybe someone can tell me what my issue is.

Thanks All.
Attachments
Cowl Parts Error File.DXF
(26.77 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
mancavedweller

Post by mancavedweller »

I imported your DXF into Coreldraw and the first thing I noticed is there were 3 objects.

There was a small vertical line inside, then the outside was actually one object laid directly on top of another object.
When I zoomed in I could see one of the outside objects was smooth, while the other one was made of straight line segments.

The first image "3 OBJECTS" shows the three individual objects listed to the right.

The 2nd image "DOUBLE LINES" shows a zoomed in view so you can see the smooth outline and the "segmented" outline.

The 3rd image "OBJECTS SEPARATED" shows the two outlines separated.

So for whatever reason it seems your software is spitting out this type of DXF.

Keith
3 OBJECTS.jpg
3 OBJECTS.jpg (15.07 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
DOUBLE LINES.jpg
DOUBLE LINES.jpg (37.35 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
OBJECTS SEPARATED.jpg
OBJECTS SEPARATED.jpg (25.41 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
jtcrowder49

Post by jtcrowder49 »

Wow Keith. I had no idea. Thank you for the insight.

How is it possible I have created this?

I only used the splines over a background image.

Does this come from my original drawing, or did I create this while trying to import into SC?

How not to have this error in the future is my question.
mancavedweller

Post by mancavedweller »

I'm sorry but I have no idea at what point the double / overlapping outlines were created.

Exactly what steps were involved. Example what software did you create the 2d drawing, and what happened from that point onwards.

If there were several softwares involved then perhaps post the "output" files from each software here. I can then quickly look to see if the double outlines appear when I import into Coreldraw.

If your software has an "object manager" (like Coreldraw does) that is one of the best tools for finding issues like this. You can't see overlapping outlines but you know they are there in an object list.

Keith
jtcrowder49

Post by jtcrowder49 »

I'm not sure Keith. I will have to take more notice when I am drawing. I have so many versions of this file now I cannot remember which one is the original.

Thank you for the help.