Internal Error Message

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
David_Lelen01

Internal Error Message

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Hey Les,

Got another internal error popup. Created a shape, duplicated 4 times, tried to move contours of one of the duplicates to the base part, error popped up. Attached support file is all I got, didn't get a chance to save the job. It happens consistently too, three times in a row. I removed my license from the zip file. Perhaps that is something to consider removing by default from the support zip creation?

Also, side note the shape window doesn't seem to be remembering its size again.

Also, any thoughts on my other questions from last week yet?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Internal Error Message

Post by Les Newell »

I think a fix for that is in the next release. If you send me that zip file I'll check. I've been taking a little time off from working on SheetCam. I needed a break. The last major release got a bit stressful.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Oh dang, i forgot to attach it. My bad.

Yeah, i understand that, it was quite a bit of a bug rush for a while. That's how major updates and changes usually go, at least in my experience.
Attachments
Support.zip
(101.39 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I just re-read your original post. I originally thought this was a different issue but you tried to copy contours from a duplicate to the base part? First of all, why? Second it should not have let you!
I just tried copying contours from a duplicate and all of the menu options are greyed out, which is correct. I guess the third question is how did you do it?
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

lol okay... im the king of doing stuff that shouldnt be / isnt intended to be done i guess. Here's my logic...

1) create shape (rectangle multiple holes) 1.75x1.75, 0 for all other inputs, round center hole 1in diameter.
2) align bottom left corner to (0,0)
3) nest mode -> array -> 2x2 pattern 0.375 part spacing
4) contour mode -> select contours on duplicate 2 -> right click -> move to part -> original part
5a) here the error happens.
5b) what i intended to happen: move other duplicate contours to original part so all parts are in one part.
6) apply one operation with chain length >0.375in so all 4 parts cut out with 1 pierce. or rather 5 pierces because of the holes instead of 8 pierces.

I've never brought this up before because i know it cannot be changed due to the program structure, but sheetcam is set up perfect for milling, not so much for jet cutting. I use sheetcam to program our mills also and i have rarely ran into a single issue. For jet cutting however, in my opinion, tools should be job based and operations be layer based, not part based. You cant change the sheet in the middle of a cutting program, so why would you need to change the tool since the tool is set up as the sheet? Not complaining or criticizing here, just saying sheetcam seems to have been designed for milling and expanded to jet cutting. Still a wonderful program and truly amazing to me that you have created this all by yourself. Quite a job. Please do not take what i said the wrong way.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

David_Lelen01 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:38 pm 4) contour mode -> select contours on duplicate 2 -> right click -> move to part -> original part
Ah, if you click on a contour on a duplicate you can't select it, but drag-select will let you when it shouldn't. Duplicates don't have any geometry of their own. They just point to the parent part's geometry and apply an offset. The copy code is getting very confused because it expects to find the selected geometry in the duplicate but finds nothing.
Not complaining or criticizing here, just saying sheetcam seems to have been designed for milling and expanded to jet cutting..
That's true. It was originaly aimed towards routers and flat panel work.
in my opinion, tools should be job based
I'm not sure I understand. Tools are job based.
You cant change the sheet in the middle of a cutting program, so why would you need to change the tool since the tool is set up as the sheet
You do need to change tool if you are using a plate marker or different settings. For instance on my plasma I use a different tool for marking hole centers, with the power turned down as far as it will go and still strike an arc.
operations be layer based, not part based.
Yes. I need to add an option to have one set of operations that applies to all parts. I've been holding off on doing this because I know it's going to be a big job.
Please do not take what i said the wrong way.
No worries. I've got a thick skin ;-)
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Ah, if you click on a contour on a duplicate you can't select it, but drag-select will let you when it shouldn't. Duplicates don't have any geometry of their own. They just point to the parent part's geometry and apply an offset. The copy code is getting very confused because it expects to find the selected geometry in the duplicate but finds nothing.
Oh i see, so i would need to copy the original part to do what i am trying to do instead of duplicating it. That makes total sense now. This leads me to a spinoff question but i think i may just send it in a PM. Its a completely different topic that just got dragged in.
That's true. It was originaly aimed towards routers and flat panel work.
That makes complete sense, it would be perfect for that. A mill is basically just a fancy router.
I'm not sure I understand. Tools are job based.
and
You do need to change tool if you are using a plate marker or different settings. For instance on my plasma I use a different tool for marking hole centers, with the power turned down as far as it will go and still strike an arc.
I guess where i was going with this is the job should, ideally in my mind and for our laser especially, have a material selection like 11ga Carbon Steel or 14ga Stainless Steel that holds all of the material specific parameters and then the operation would have the tools like etch tool, marking tool, etc that contains all of the power and feeds and path rules etc. I am having to do all of that in one tool and it makes for a rather extensive and complicated tool table with lots of custom tool params.
Yes. I need to add an option to have one set of operations that applies to all parts. I've been holding off on doing this because I know it's going to be a big job.
That would be ideal, but i wasnt even going to bother asking since i assumed it would be an internal program nightmare to do.
No worries. I've got a thick skin ;-)
I should figure this much if you even still read my posts considering many of my oddball questions and requests lol

just so you can see what we work with, attached is a screenshot of one of the material condition files on our laser. As you can see, there are a number of different powers and feeds that can be selected based on cutting need. Most of the times, we use the higher power settings, but there are a lot of times we use the low power settings as well. And this is just one of the 2 pages. The other page holds all of the corner, start, and end conditions.
Attachments
20210429_095019-min.jpg
20210429_095019-min.jpg (656.83 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I guess where i was going with this is the job should, ideally in my mind and for our laser especially, have a material selection like 11ga Carbon Steel or 14ga Stainless Steel that holds all of the material specific parameters and then the operation would have the tools like etch tool, marking tool, etc that contains all of the power and feeds and path rules etc. I am having to do all of that in one tool and it makes for a rather extensive and complicated tool table with lots of custom tool params.
How about using tool sets? For example have one tool set for 14ga stainless and another for 11ga carbon steel. Each set would contain tools for etching, marking, cutting etc.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

I thought about that, but the biggest issue with that is then I loose all my material specific parameters that the job report pulls from the tool. I still have to have all the custom tool parameters in there for the job report. And it ended up being quicker for me to just have it all in one toolset file and scroll through the tool drop down instead of browsing for the toolset file, opening it, and then selecting the tool.