Rotary Axis Plugin Issue

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
FabLab

Rotary Axis Plugin Issue

Post by FabLab »

Hi Les,

I need some help with the rotary axis plugin, I need to turn the centerline axis 90 deg. within sheetcam
My machine setup has the rotary axis centerline parallel with the Y axis & when I use the plugin in sheetcam the center line is parallel with the x axis and trying to turn the part 90 deg. doesnt seem to help.

Now there is a very good possibility I am just not understanding the proper way to use the plugin :-) so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
FabLab

Re: Rotary Axis Plugin Issue

Post by FabLab »

I could really use some help with this, Is there some documentation I am missing or am I missing something simple? The X-Y output does look switched to me..

Thanks!

Jeff
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

What controller does your machine use? I have a few swapped axis rotary posts.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

I use a Masso controller, I have attached my current post.

Thanks!!
Attachments
PlasmaTHCRotary.scpost
(9.75 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Give this a try.
Attachments
PlasmaTHCRotary swapped axes.scpost
(9.75 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Thanks Les!

The post you provided wasn't quite right but it was close enough to put me on the right path, I just had to do a little CPM (Copy Paste Modify) today & was able to cut a part with the rotary axis.

In a nutshell the post you provided seemed to have the X & Y axis's correct the + - on my setup A axis was reversed, but that was a simple fix ( I just inverted the A axis in the Masso setup)

The biggest issue was with Z zero... The mods you made to my original post worked for X & Y but the Z touch off wasn't right, Z would touch off & set zero but the G-Code looked to me to have its "Z" zero at the parts centerline not top of work..

I am sure the post I am using right now is pretty "dirty" as I hacked it together based off of what I had, what you posted & a Mach 3 swapped axis post.
as I say it works, but I would appreciate it if you could take a look at it & give me some help cleaning it up..

I have been unable to find any documentation on how the rotary axis plugin works, can you point me to anything that would help me understand a little better on how it works?

Thanks for your support Les!!!

Jeff
Attachments
FabLab-THC-Rotary.scpost
(14.04 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

With rotary, Z0 has to be on the centre line. With shapes other than round tube the surface height is dependent on the angle.

All I did was swap the axes of the PlasmaTHCRotary post you supplied. I'm not sure where you got it from but that post has a number of issues as you discovered. I compared your version to the PlasmaRotary Mach3 post and I can't see anything obviously wrong. I see you put in the corner slowdown stuff. I'm generally phasing this out as rules do a better job. However if you prefer this method it's not a problem.

By the way if you need to compare two posts or similar files, WinMerge is great. It highlights the differences so it's easy to spot changes.